Two issues with my LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThinkGadget

Reaction score
Upon starting after cold overnight, I am finding the brake pedal to be very hard to press down to start the car. Once engine starts it presses normally. (I suspect a vacuum leak?)

The other issue, again only when cold, is that putting it into drive, the transmission slips when trying to accelerate. Higher revs will help it to engage. Once the car comes up to temperature, then the transmission seems to have the instant torque we are all accustomed to.

please advise

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upon starting after cold overnight, I am finding the brake pedal to be very hard to press down to start the car. Once engine starts it presses normally. (I suspect a vacuum leak?)

The other issue, again only when cold, is that putting it into drive, the transmission slips when trying to accelerate. Higher revs will help it to engage. Once the car comes up to temperature, then the transmission seems to have the instant torque we are all accustomed to.

please advise

not sure on the brake pedal.

On the transmission, I’d check your fluid levels. Sounds like low fluid. Also check your transmission cooler lines for leaks if level is low. Also, if your transmission has not been serviced and you have close to 100k miles, likely could use a service. Land Rover says lifetime fluid, zf (the manufacturer of the transmission) says differently...

Strizzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the brake pedal is either a leaking check valve on the vacuum booster(servo), or a leak within the booster itself. These trucks have a vacuum pump on the front of the motor, so check the vacuum lines from there to the booster as well, but there is a big check valve right on the booster usually where the hose connects.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I understanding it right that you are saying the brake pedal is hard to press when the car is off, before you start it?

Isn't that normal? You won't have any power brake boost at that time, so it's all manual.

Or am I missing something.

ThinkGadget

Reaction score
If you ever shut off the engine and press the brake pedal repeatedly with the engine off, you will find that it becomes very hard to press as all the vacuum assist is gone. That is how it feels the next morning when I go to start the engine.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is clearly a 'try it' thing...

Park for the night, engine running, press brake pedal to the floor, HOLD IT - turn off engine - once it's' off, back off the pedal.

DO NOT press the pedal down again. Exit, lock and want until morning...

Morning time, coffee x2, out to check the 4.....

"Key in" and press the brake pedal and see if it acts as normal...

If it works as normal, I don't know why
If it doesn't work as normal, I don't know why

BUT, it was a good try anyway...

Head back for more coffee, by this time you'll another cup.

If still under warranty, schedule dealer service ...

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've experienced similar issues, usually in subfreezing temps, either in the mornings when I leave for work, or at the end of the day after the vehicle has been sitting outside in the cold. When pressing the brake pedal as I turn on the engine, the pedal is stiff and I can only push a few inches down. Once engine is on, it softens. It's very sporadic.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've experienced similar issues, usually in subfreezing temps, either in the mornings when I leave for work, or at the end of the day after the vehicle has been sitting outside in the cold. When pressing the brake pedal as I turn on the engine, the pedal is stiff and I can only push a few inches down. Once engine is on, it softens. It's very sporadic.

Same here...pedal goes hard overnight if temp is below 10 degrees or so.

Albielab

Reaction score
This has been the norm on my D4 since I got it!? Never been an issue for me or the truck...

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA