Using Terrain Response to Improve Gas Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get a couple MPG improvement just by using the Command Shift mode, stating in second gear and "featherfooting" the throttle when possible. I shift up at about 2,200 RPM.

ChuckD

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clarification

better than if the vehicle needs to sense the current conditions. So if your in regular mode and it senses snow/ice, then you should get the same output eventually if you select the snow/ice setting.

So, techboy, you are telling me that your salesperson said that the LR3 will effectively put itself in a given mode by sensing the terrain? Does that mean that if it senses clusters of boulders and rocks it will put itself in Rock Crawl mode?

I think your salesperson needs to go back to the company training on LR3s...

Randall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i tried driving in the city in grass/gravel/snow mode and got about 3 extra mpg

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find this a little silly. I can easily get 2-3 better MPG by simply taking it extremely easy, with or without command shift. Why bother using grass/snow mode? Personally, I wouldn't want my vehicle to be less responsive for normal street driving. Seems slightly dangerous...

Anyway, running in glass/snow mode for extended periods won't cause harm. Your mileage may vary. :wink:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a slightly related note...I always drive in Sport mode. The truck is more peppy and shifts the way I like it...when I step on the gas, it goes. I don't have to wait for it to rev up before downshifting. I get over 20mpg on highway trips...70+mph, w the A/C on. Its no Prius, but its better than many other SUVs. I'll pay for the extra 3mpg that I may get by driving in Sand mode to enjoy driving my vehicle.

Anyway, long story short I when I had my Cruise Control Problem fixed last week they upgraded some SW that dramatically changed how the truck shifted. I don't know if my profile was just reset or the new SW changed things, but now Sport mode is MUCH peppier...a little too sensitive, actually, but I'm getting used to it. :biggrin:

Now please resume your previously scheduled hypermiler discussion....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72