very poor gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

dmoore1200

alright..im getting VERY poor gas mileage in my 96 disco...

its less than 10 around town...i m going through a 1/4 to 1/2 tank a day on about 50 to 70 miles.....what the hell..

Whats casueing this..with gas prices so high ($2.20 here.)

ill have to buy a honda if i dont figurre out why..

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
What if any thing have you done as far as tune ups? How long have you owned it and has it always gotten this poor fuel economy, or is it just recent?

What mods do you have on you Disco (roof rack, heavy bumper, winch, big tires, rock sliders.... etc)?

Basic maintenance helps (synthitic oils, new air filter, fuel filter, plugs wires, synthitic greese, run some seafoam in it)

Mods all cause less fuel economy.

Need more info to help, but you should be able to average around 15 - 16 town and highway with out much trouble...

D

dmoore1200

no mods at all.... always noticed worse than average but this week its horible.

I ran 2 cans of seafoam through the tank.... has new wires.. I do have a small exhaust leak..would that affect it?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
small exhaust leak will not cause much issues, unless it is a cracked manifold.

But on to my other points, when was the last major tune up? Plugs, wires, air filter, oil filter, oil etc....

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O2 sensors?

Too much skinny pedal, followed shortly by too much wide pedal?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Moose, good thought.... I didn't even thing O2 sensors, they will make fuel economy drop in a hurry....

S

samizook

Wouldn't 02 sensors throw a code? or light or something?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Not always, O2 sensors start to get old under normal conditions around 60 - 80k, there will be a delay in signalling and just not react as well as new ones (just getting tired) they will not throw a code until they have completly kicked the bucket not sending a signal. This is the same on all vehicles. First thing that happens is fuel economy starts to drop, becuase the engine is running richer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM