Voyager Offroad - LR4 Tire Carrier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Good to know. As time goes on and I get more experience I'll need to decide if I want more of what David referred to as an "expedition" vehicle or an "off road" vehicle. Certainly there is plenty of overlap. But with time I'll find out what things are most important and where I can make compromises. What I do know is that whatever I do there will always be great insight and experience shared on this forum!

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted on another thread that I am back to looking at these swing away rear tire carrier options now that my bolt-on, aftermarket, trailer hitch receiver prevents me from storing a full size spare underneath. For the latter part of the season I just put the tire on top. I even had to do a couple of tire changes which meant I had to drag it off the top and put one back up. It wasn't all that bad but I'm now thinking it would be easier and less top heavy if I went with one of these options.

The Voyager seems to have a couple nice options. I could use the "lower" version to get more visibility out the rear window. (I have disabled the parking sensors with the IIDTool.) I also like the idea of the half length model rather than having a bar that goes all the way across the bumper. But I'm not sure if that will be robust enough. Maybe they have strengthened their hardware since Dave's earliest comments on this thread a couple of years ago. I'll be carrying a 265/60R18 KO2 on a Compo wheel for my spare. Not as beefy as some of you use.

I am also wondering if using this type of tire carrier will prevent me from being able to use my hitch-mounted down-titling bike rack. I'll need to get the measurements from Voyager.

I know Kaymar is no longer a viable option. If I go with Tactical 4x4 I would need to invest in a whole new bumper.

Mcb14230

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted on another thread that I am back to looking at these swing away rear tire carrier options now that my bolt-on, aftermarket, trailer hitch receiver prevents me from storing a full size spare underneath. For the latter part of the season I just put the tire on top. I even had to do a couple of tire changes which meant I had to drag it off the top and put one back up. It wasn't all that bad but I'm now thinking it would be easier and less top heavy if I went with one of these options.

The Voyager seems to have a couple nice options. I could use the "lower" version to get more visibility out the rear window. (I have disabled the parking sensors with the IIDTool.) I also like the idea of the half length model rather than having a bar that goes all the way across the bumper. But I'm not sure if that will be robust enough. Maybe they have strengthened their hardware since Dave's earliest comments on this thread a couple of years ago. I'll be carrying a 265/60R18 KO2 on a Compo wheel for my spare. Not as beefy as some of you use.

I am also wondering if using this type of tire carrier will prevent me from being able to use my hitch-mounted down-titling bike rack. I'll need to get the measurements from Voyager.

I know Kaymar is no longer a viable option. If I go with Tactical 4x4 I would need to invest in a whole new bumper.
I know it has been years, but where did you end up on this? I am trying to decide my direction and I am actually a fan of the factory bumpers. But I want to move the spare and know that the plastic bumpers won’t survive any ground contact

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know it has been years, but where did you end up on this? I am trying to decide my direction and I am actually a fan of the factory bumpers. But I want to move the spare and know that the plastic bumpers won’t survive any ground contact

He sold his LR4 and bought a Land Cruiser.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72