Voyager roof rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Domoic

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay.

I did NOT install this myself. I got my local dealer to do it.

Rack Installation:
- technically easy - just 8 screws
- NO rails needed
- screws right into the tracks that are concealed with the rubber finish on the roof
- your LR4 is pre-threaded to accept the rack
- the tough thing ifdo it yourself is that this rack is ONE PIECE...hard to maneuver by yourself...it is big and heavy
- also, it cannot be shipped via UPS - must be shipped as freight...which I could not accept at my house...but my dealer could accept it

Ladder Installation
- this was tougher, technically speaking
- the rear door handle had to be REMOVED to install
- apparently it was a VERY tight fit
- WARNING - this ladder hangs low and OBFUSCATES the back up camera! LOL! (my guess is that your field of vision is reduced by 1/3 - but right down the middle)

Total Cost to Install
- $600
- included all labor
- included adding the faring up front (in which they added screws and tapped the rack)
- was more than I hoped - but it took a couple guys a half a day to do it
- there was some logistical issues that they had to iron out

I hope this helps

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay.

Rack Installation:
- NO rails needed
- screws right into the tracks that are concealed with the rubber finish on the roof
- the tough thing ifdo it yourself is that this rack is ONE PIECE...hard to maneuver by yourself...it is big and heavy
- also, it cannot be shipped via UPS - must be shipped as freight...which I could not accept at my house...but my dealer could accept it

Ladder Installation
- WARNING - this ladder hangs low and OBFUSCATES the back up camera! LOL! (my guess is that your field of vision is reduced by 1/3 - but right down the middle)

Total Cost to Install
- $600
- included all labor
- included adding the faring up front (in which they added screws and tapped the rack)

I hope this helps
Pics?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty close to ordering a half-rack from Voyager racks. I just e-mailed them to see exactly how high the rack goes off the roof line? I just want to make sure I have a good idea of the height before purchasing to see if I clear everything. It should not be a problem, but I don't want anything too high.

Beside the voyager rack, I think I am only going with the front skid plate (more for looks), as I put aside the idea of mud flaps and side-steps because I want to do more off-roading.

I'll keep everyone posted!

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I just got off the phone with Andy of Voyager Racks. I ordered a pair of the sliders that they sell and hope to be able to get a roof rack a little later this summer. While talking to him, I tuned him in to this site and suggested that he join as there is a lot of buzz here about his products. He said that they're working on a front winch bumper as well as a rear tire carrier. Hopefully he'll chime in here and we can send him our wish list.

I told him that if I had a shop and a nickel of ability, that I'd try feeding off the boards. I think a lot of us could come up with a few ideas that would really sell.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay.

Rack Installation:
- NO rails needed

Ladder Installation

Total Cost to Install
- $600
- included all labor

I hope this helps
Hey Domoic,

I just ordered a ladder from Voyager - but the STANDARD one (does not have the additional step). I am assuming your ladder was the longer one ("extra step", which is why it obfuscates the back-up camera? Could you please confirm?

http://www.voyagerracks.com/lr3_discovery_iii_lad.html

Thanks!

-David

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone,

As I stated before-I have the Voyager Roof Rack, full size ladders, and frame sliders with integrated nerf bar (side step).

I am going to post a message on another thread about the heavy bumper topic (“Brush Guard for LR4”). However, I am a big fan of the Voyager Roof rack and other accessories. I actually just did a long-distance trip a few weeks ago (more than 400 miles Africa off-road, mostly various kinds of piste) and I shredded a tire. Extra spare, two fuel cans, plus high-lift jack and other goodies on the rack. Ladder makes it a snap to get up and get down without a lot of acrobatics (watch out you don’t put a boot through the rear windshield though!) And I once again had to jack from the frame sliders due to the insane height of the LR4 suspension. No worries-hardest part of the whole tire change was pulling all my junk out of the back to lower my primary spare. There is some wind noise from the rack (and all the stuff I threw up there) and I am concerned about overstressing the roof, but thus far the truck and the rack have performed.

In terms of the aforementioned “can’t see well” because of the ladder…ok, it does block part of the camera but it is not a big deal. I suppose the whole thing depends on how much you use the roof rack vice want 100% visibility from the rear camera.

This isn’t an advert for Andy, but I am a satisfied customer and highly recommend his products.

Thanks all-
Land Rover Joe

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings Captain,

Please see my FLIKR website for some photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/59137225@N07/

I have left some detail photos of the roof rack as well as some pix of the interior of the truck on my photostream because of previous posts; if you want to see the roof rack mods, then maybe that will be of use. Of course, since I put the wood flooring onto the voyager rack, I have done several other additional upgrades (jackguard case, steel rail tie-downs). However, I have put a new series of 15 “LR4 bustin’ through Africa overland pix” (to include me changing out the shredded tire I mentioned before) on the photostream which may be more interesting. Yes…I did all that driving with the LR4 and more…in fairly remote Africa, with my wife, sometimes no other vehicles, and no dealership within 1,000 miles.

Yes, I have more grey hair.

Still more upgrades to go. I am rushing to get skid plates as I fear one of those rocks out there busting through something. So that will be the first big upgrade. Heavy front bumper will probably be next.

Hope you like the pix and you find them useful.

Land Rover Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM