Washing LR Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone washed their LR engine? Recommended? I was planning on cleaning it up and hosing it lightly with some all purpose cleaner. Any issues or suggestions besides the obvious of covering up critical electric parts?

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the Transmission Module dislikes dampness.

Hidden to the rear of the starting battery and sort of under the right side wiper is a collection of transistors called the Transmission Module. Do not be fooled by the rubber boots etc where the wires go in. They are there to channel the water onto the circuit boards within. You may wish to wrap some 3M +33 black electrical tape around the top of the boots to slow down the channelling effect.

The plastic cover itself is a plot to lure you into thinking that the cover has a water resistant back to it - wrong - no back - surprise - it is just a cover.

To clean my engine, I treat is as an heirloom using a combination of Spray 9 and various rags etc along with WD40 and Windex.

Yeah, I know, that sounds a bit irrational but so does a printed circuit board cover that is a sieve on a vehicle built for swimming - well swimming to about the top of the wheel wells anyway.

I guess that is what the lift feature and off road height is for but I suggest the garden hose be used on some other vehicles engine.

Attachments

• LR3 Transmission Module Case.jpg
    LR3 Transmission Module Case.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 43
  • LR3 Transmission Module Cover.jpg
    LR3 Transmission Module Cover.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 33
  • LR3 Transmission Module.jpg
    LR3 Transmission Module.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 42

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me, I just do it when it's cold, shower mode on my nozzle lightly, spray Simple Green, brush, light rise, done.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks bbyer for tips and suggestions. CMGRover your system works too I believe. I am gonna try something similar and mix it up and see what works. Hopefully the car runs after my project ;) I'll probably make a video too and post it.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried something new today. I used my pressure washer, but held it back so it was a fine mist. Minimal volume of water on the engine...which was good.
I'll post pics later!

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did one too last weekend. Washed my BMW 530i engine by spraying it with garden hose shower head in mist mode. Then sprayed it with a degreaser and let it sit there for a few minutes. Used a moist soft brush and scrubbed some dirtiest parts. All grease broke lose. Sprayed it with garden hose Shower lightly and it was clean like new. I am going to do the same with the LR now.

I did put some saran wrap on some electricals as a precaution when I was applying degreaser and showering the engine with water.

Results were showroom fabulous!

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a wet terry cloth towel with car wash or Simply Green and clean the whole compartment, and take extra special care to avoid the delicate electronic bits. I then repeat with a wet cloth to rinse. Then I wipe the plastic with Griots Treatment and spray the painted metal with Griots Speed Shine.

RoverMike

Reaction score
Yeah im also thinking of washing my LR3's engine should i keep the engine running while washing or should i have it off, what do u guys recommend

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off...and it must be cool. Don't want to crack anything.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started it during final light shower spray. Otherwise off and cold while doing the initial sprays and cleanups. Starting in the final step dries it and makes sure all systems are running. Don't spray on fan and general area while running. Also make sure all plastic coverings are off by the time you are in the final step.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99