Water Pump #3 145,000 Mil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Sutton

Reaction score
I have a Range Rover Sport 2013 V8 with no supercharger and losing water (1 qt every 2 months) and I hear a slight metallic sound under the hood in the mornings; not a valve sound. I have not done any investigating but since I am on water Pump number two and the last time I had a T or Y pipe or whatever it's called replaced so.... I am thinking here we go again.

Is it normal to go through a water pump every 50,000 on this model?

Thanks in advance.

alldazed

Reaction score
I have a 2011 rrs sc. I bought it used 4 years ago and got its full service history by asking the dealer. It had 145,000 km / 90,000 miles on at the time and had been through 3 water pumps by then. I drove it for a year and started losing coolant so I did it myself with a $153cad one from rock auto with new oil cooler tube seals and got a year out of it before those seals went. So for number 5 I went with an LR one just over a year ago with new lr seals . The crossover piles which I think you are referring to are aluminum in the SC version as opposed to the plastic ones - I think - in the non sc. I did have to replace an o- ring that was leaking at a joint in those pipes but I got lucky in that it was easily accessible and cheap. From what I understand the water pump issue is fairly normal. If you can hear a metallic noise you should be able to feel play in the pulley on the end. It could also be the fan contacting the fan shroud . Mine makes a metallic click on start up in the cold weather only that I believe is something to do with the viscous fan assembly. It has done it for 3 years and goes away after a few minutes in the cold and not at all once it’s warmer so I just leave it.

Mike Sutton

Reaction score
I have a 2011 rrs sc. I bought it used 4 years ago and got its full service history by asking the dealer. It had 145,000 km / 90,000 miles on at the time and had been through 3 water pumps by then. I drove it for a year and started losing coolant so I did it myself with a $153cad one from rock auto with new oil cooler tube seals and got a year out of it before those seals went. So for number 5 I went with an LR one just over a year ago with new lr seals . The crossover piles which I think you are referring to are aluminum in the SC version as opposed to the plastic ones - I think - in the non sc. I did have to replace an o- ring that was leaking at a joint in those pipes but I got lucky in that it was easily accessible and cheap. From what I understand the water pump issue is fairly normal. If you can hear a metallic noise you should be able to feel play in the pulley on the end. It could also be the fan contacting the fan shroud . Mine makes a metallic click on start up in the cold weather only that I believe is something to do with the viscous fan assembly. It has done it for 3 years and goes away after a few minutes in the cold and not at all once it’s warmer so I just leave it.
Wow, so many water pumps! Yes, I was referring to the cross-over pipe. Sounds like the genuine Land Rover pump is the best of the worst. Thanks for sharing! Question which cross over pipe is better aluminum or plastic?

alldazed

Reaction score
Definitely the aluminum but I’m not sure if it’s available for the non sc engine. They are different from what i understand. You could poke around on the LR4 pages as they have the na engine too and there has been talk of whether the aftermarket aluminum pipes are available and any good or not. They consider the plastic pipes a maintainence item replaced probably at water pump time as it is instant death for the engine if they let go and the engine overheats. There is a rear crossover too, also plastic that T your mileage should probably be done if you are taking things apart anyway and I think a coolant pipe buried in the valley too.
Definitely best off with LR parts for most things.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72