Well THAT didn't take long

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MPG_LR3

Reaction score
Well I just brought home a new-to-me 2009 LR3 HSE with all the toys on Saturday. It was lightly used (37,000 Km or 23,000 Mi) and in great shape...we were very excited!

My wife was driving home from skiing in the mountains today and had the Check Engine Light come on, flash on and off and had noticeably reduced power from the engine. This was as she was going up a significant hill with quite a bit of throttle. She immediately pulled over and shut off the engine for a few minutes and when she restarted the truck it seemed to run fine but the Check Engine Light remained on (but didn't flash any more).

I took it out tonight and was able to replicate the above (Flashing CEL and significantly reduced power) once going up a large hill near where we live but then I went back 2 more times and couldn't get it do it again :stupid:.

I'm pretty sure it's not the gas cap as I triple checked that it was put on properly. Is there anyone else out there that's had this specific behaviour? I know from researching on here that CEL's are not unheard of but what about the reduced power? Could it be related to being in Snow mode on Terrain Response because it's only done it when it's in that setting?

Obviously I'll be taking it in to the dealer ASAP but I'm really hoping to avoid the "multiple visits to try multiple things" stories I've read on here! THIS SUCKS...I thought I might get SOME ownership time before things started going wrong! (Sorry just had to vent :wink:)

Cheers,
Mike

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hang in there Mike. There WILL be a repair curve regardless of past use. It's just the way of the world with all these electronics. Be sure to have a solid extended warranty or you will pay the price down the road. Once you get past the small repairs, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Get the rig into the Dealer for a diagnosis. While under warranty, it's VERY important to build a good relationship with your service department. Don't be that ****** owner who grinds away at everyone he comes into contact with. Sugar goes a long way with these guys. Make the best of the situation and learn to love the electrical adventure.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be anything, but that sounds awefully similar to what happened to me when my air flow sensors went kaplooee. If it is the catalytic converter, they are covered by a federal warranty. Typical symptoms of a CC failure are reduced engine power (especially up a hill) and a weird smell from the exhaust.

Mine is a 2005 and my sensors just went bad. They got frozed in the CC and they had to replace the whole thing. No big deal, especially since it was free.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the mass airflow sensor. Fairly common, and relatively easy fix.

It threw a CEL, so a dealership can quickly diagnose.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah....either the MAF or the T-stat.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheap gas will also do this - putting in 87 octane? Or 89? Sometimes the dealer will top off for you but put in the cheap gas to save a buck and it will cause the check engine light to come on... as for reduced power, I don't know.

MPG_LR3

Reaction score
Blackforestham...thanks for the words of encouragement! We had ~20cm of snow overnight and even with the crappy Goodyears this thing ROCKS in the snow!

Count Laszlo...I had heard that cheap gas could have that effect but I did fill it up with Premium (91 Octane around here) on Saturday evening which is why I was sure the gas cap was on securely.

The vehicle was a fairly late 2009 build with an in-service date of July 14, 2009 so I have about 2 1/2 years of factory warranty + I negotiated an extended warranty on top of that so I'm covered until 2015 and 140,000Km. I've got a service appointment for tomorrow so I'm hoping we'll get it sorted out sooner rather than later.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Cheers,
Mike

drewman75

Reaction score
Hang in there Mike. There WILL be a repair curve regardless of past use. It's just the way of the world with all these electronics. Be sure to have a solid extended warranty or you will pay the price down the road. Once you get past the small repairs, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Get the rig into the Dealer for a diagnosis. While under warranty, it's VERY important to build a good relationship with your service department. Don't be that ****** owner who grinds away at everyone he comes into contact with. Sugar goes a long way with these guys. Make the best of the situation and learn to love the electrical adventure.

So very true. At least in my experience as well. I see a lot of folks walk into the service area while I am there dressed to the nines and acting like total a-holes to the good folks behind the service desk. And you can just tell by the looks they get that no one is going the extra mile for them. Even when I have had some bummer issues with mine and had to have it towed there, I still try to keep everything in perspective and be understanding and treat the guys with respect. Afterall, it's not their fault. And I can say that every time I am there, the guy takes great care of me and goes out of his way, even when he doesn't have to.

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an airflow sensor problem to me too as well... Havent had one in my LR3, but I have in other cars. Check to see if the previous owner put a K&N filter in it. Oil based filters have a tendancy to ruin MAFs. I know you are still under warranty but auto parts stores sell MAF cleaner, you can also use electronic cleaner if that turns out to be the problem.

MPG_LR3

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies!

The official diagnosis from the dealer is a bad O2 sensor...it's been replaced and we'll be picking the truck up this afternoon.

An O2 sensor makes sense given the symptoms but I don't think I've ever heard of an O2 sensor giving up the ghost that early on any vehicle...the truck only has 23,000mi on it :confused:!

To their credit the dealer set us up with a loaner even though it was only an overnight stay so I feel like they took good care of us.

I guess I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and get on with enjoying my new toy :biggrin:.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member