What brake pads do you all recommend?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

almaX

Reaction score
all this talk of brakes i figured this would be a good place to ask. has anyone changed the pads solely due to horrible brake dust. this has to be the worst amount of dust on any of my last 4 SUV's. the dust will not come off either. most of it comes off but it seems to have baked on pretty good. i saw on the disco 3 forum that someone used oven cleaner and it worked like a champ without hurting the clear coat. I at least use the pressure washers at the carwash once a week to clean the wheels off and prevent buildup but still have some good staining. i may just find a good powder coat and get them done in gunmetal and be done with it. let me know what you all think. thanks

I found that the Griot's Garage products are really good. Their wheel cleaner does a superb job cleaning that stubborn dust. I am about to change my pads as the dealer wants $800 down here just for pads...:mad: Crazy to me!!!

Anyone have experience with ebc pads?? Any concerns? Improvements on the Original ones that came on the car??

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO there are none better for this vehicle (in regards to manufacturer) than EBC. I checked every one of my distributors and they all said to just go with the EBC. I usually recommend Hawk, SSBC or DBA but noone else makes pads (as far as I know) for the LR3. Cant go wrong with better stopping and way less dust for less money.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wagner's sister company is the OEM supplier, and Wagner pads are available in the US for less than the OE. Also, Monroe makes pads for LR3. These are two options not normally considered, and try RockAuto.com in addition to the specialty AB, etc. suppliers. (ask me if you can't find a 5% Rockauto discount code online.)

almaX

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. :beer: Ordered the EBC pads as I agree that the OE ones are very dusty and wear very poorly. I didn't get the rotors at this time as mine are in great shape, might just have them refaced lightly but don't even think it is worth doing as they have very clean faces. Did order the front and rear sensors and the front and rear pads as I think it will be a nice upgrade from the OE.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to avoid returning a new front sensor I don't need by offering it for $17 including mail, but I seem to have no luck :-(

phx5o

Reaction score
Just got mine back from the dealer today. Suspension fault. But said about $360 each for front and rear pads.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
smart to DIY. Really, my independent did each axle (having just done another 05 that week) for 1.5 hours labor - you would plotz if I told you his low rate - plus my parts.

almaX

Reaction score
All went without a problem. Replaced all pads front and back and just reused the old sensors. I had ordered front and rear sensors (one for the front and one for the rear) and just ended up keeping them. All in all it took me longer to raise the car than to do the brakes. The front were a little more time consuming but spent around 2 hours total (front and back). The pads have been there a couple of days and today started to have some brake noise. The pads come with a compound (red, baked on) that preps the disc, and to my take the compound is gone now and they are just getting seated. It is loud though, will post as soon as noise goes away. Did not replace the discs. By the way an early poster asked the minimum tolerance for the discs, mine had it stamped on the disc itself, min 17mm. Very easy procedure, 8 bolts in total. Have to say that the braking efficency has nearly doubled. Great pads, very grabby compared to the FERRODO that were there originally.

BigArt_LR3

Reaction score
Has any one taken advantage of the lifetime guarantee from Midas?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4