What brake pads do you all recommend?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a couple of brake services, and I just let the dealer put on whatever he does. I have 61k on mine, and usually get about 25k out of each set of brakes. Haven't had to replace rotors yet!

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a couple of brake services, and I just let the dealer put on whatever he does. I have 61k on mine, and usually get about 25k out of each set of brakes. Haven't had to replace rotors yet!

How much do you normally pay to have the dealer do the pads (parts + labor)? Front versus rear? They seem so easy to do, but time is always hard to find.

BTW - back to the original posters question (sorry for jacking your thread), I've heard a couple times that it is best to go with the OEM LR pads. Having said that, I've always heard good things about EBC pads, but I've never run them myself.

-Rich

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used and prefer OEM pads... no real reason, just conservative.

I'm guessing the average cost for dealer parts & labor for front/back pads & sensors is probably near $800. Of course, it varies by location and dealer.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used and prefer OEM pads... no real reason, just conservative.

I'm guessing the average cost for dealer parts & labor for front/back pads & sensors is probably near $800. Of course, it varies by location and dealer.

That is amazing - just looking online it appears I can get OEM pads, sensors, etc for less than $300 front/rear. Is there really $500 worth of labor? From what I've seen on the DIYs, it is just like any other brake job - pretty straightforward. Am I missing something?

-Rich

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope, straightforward..Took about 15 minutes to do my rears last month. I got the pads from atlantic british for $60 (?can't remember, but pretty cheap). I think they are EBC and they are fine. Even OEM rear pads are only $75 there. And I see no reason why you can't re-use the sensors if you didn't get down to them.
I'd find the time if I were you ;)

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope, straightforward..Took about 15 minutes to do my rears last month. I got the pads from atlantic british for $60 (?can't remember, but pretty cheap). I think they are EBC and they are fine. Even OEM rear pads are only $75 there. And I see no reason why you can't re-use the sensors if you didn't get down to them.
I'd find the time if I were you ;)
Thanks - I'll find the time. That is amazing that they charge that much for just replacing pads. On my 3-series the dealer only charged $800 for front/rear pads AND rotors, and the parts were $500+ of that, which was the reason I felt OK paying to have them do the rest (and it included a brake fluid flush!). $500 in labor works out to something like $1000 an hour labor rate :biggrin:

-Rich

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to dealer service and fixed price costing. Sorry, I did it myself, too. :smile: But I'm slow, and it took more than an hour. My $800 guess could be high (based on what I've seen for euro-market vehicles around here)... just ask your dealer to see if I was close. Maybe they throw in rotors at $800. :smile:

You can probably re-use the sensors, but I was conservative again and replaced them. It's just a fraction of the cost of a tank of gas. D'oh!

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe my dealer quoted around $1000 for all 4, including rotors.

I have 46k miles on my 2005 HSE and so far the brakes feel brand new. I use CommandShift a lot...I wonder if that helps ???

bLuLRIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to dealer service and fixed price costing. Sorry, I did it myself, too. :smile: But I'm slow, and it took more than an hour. My $800 guess could be high (based on what I've seen for euro-market vehicles around here)... just ask your dealer to see if I was close. Maybe they throw in rotors at $800. :smile:

You can probably re-use the sensors, but I was conservative again and replaced them. It's just a fraction of the cost of a tank of gas. D'oh!

I have never done this type of service on any car.. but I am very mechanical...and feel comfortable if someone gives me directions...anyone have a quick guide on how to do it?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4