What lift do I want? Please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maryd2myrvr

Reaction score
Brand new owner of an 06 LR3 SE. I hate seeing all the other LR3's around here driving to the mall, bought mine cause my Jeep Commander wasn't off-road capable enough:hmpf:. Have been lookin for a rod mod lift kit to run at the trails, and would like some input on which one to buy. Looked at the Sasquatch Rods (adjustable) and Johnson Rods (fixed). My ride has no other mods and was wondering which would work the best. Thank you for your help and it's great to be part of the network!!

P.S. - Anyone in the Central/Northeast PA looking to run at Rousch Creek please PM me.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you take your Jeep Commander off-road and get disappointed? ...or are you just having some fun here?

Either Rod-Mod would work. Personally I'd go wtih Sasquatch.

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the Johnson Rods before I knew about the Sasquatches. I don't have a frame of reference for the other brand so it'd be unfair to comment, however, I believe the dude who makes them is on this forum. Send a PM to blackforestham. I think that's the guy who makes the sasquatch rods.

The Johnson rods have been fine for me. I run them full-time and have had zero issues.

The only "issue" I've had is a realignment after just having had one (w/in 200 miles) The tires just looked like they were towing out more than usual. Has anyone else had this problem?

The install was easy and the benefits are well worth it.

I don't really see a point to adjustable rods. For me it's just too much time under the truck and too many variables. But if you like the idea of customizing your rig to an exact height, then sasquatch is the way to go.

All-in-all it comes down to personal preference. They are both good products, one is cheaper (Johnson ~$125) than the other.

Post the pics when you can.

Welcome to the family!

Last edited:

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
USA, if your rear tires bow in at regular height. That means the rods are too short.
I made this mistake on my first set I modified. Rear tires can be aligned to a cerrain
point, but if they still bow inwards at normal height then your looking at irregular tire
wear and handling issues. 10 mm is about all you can shorten before this starts to
occur. I have no preference on the rod thing, but be sure to know how much shorter
they are than stock before you put them on. My $.02

maryd2myrvr

Reaction score
Did you take your Jeep Commander off-road and get disappointed? ...or are you just having some fun here?

Either Rod-Mod would work. Personally I'd go wtih Sasquatch.

Little bit of both, it was just too much of a soccer mom vehicle and didn't have much ground clearance. I use my vehicle full time and need something comfortable during the week while being fun and capable on the weekend. the Heep did not fit that criteria.

Working on gettin some pics after the first off-road adventure. Thank you for all the welcomes, good to be a part of something people are passionate about!

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
USA, if your rear tires bow in at regular height. That means the rods are too short.
I made this mistake on my first set I modified. Rear tires can be aligned to a cerrain
point, but if they still bow inwards at normal height then your looking at irregular tire
wear and handling issues. 10 mm is about all you can shorten before this starts to
occur. I have no preference on the rod thing, but be sure to know how much shorter
they are than stock before you put them on. My $.02

I didn't notice the rear tires as much as the front tires. I didn't modify my own, but bought the Johnson rods. Wonder if anyone has had this problem with his rods?

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either way, fronts or rears, you want your tire treads to rest as flat as possible in
your new normal height if you are going to run them full time.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM