When is it time to say goodbye?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understood. It's related to the extent that these could be characterized as examples of government over-reach that extend to the use of gas powered vehicles. For instance, in my state (Washington) they are banning the sale of gas powered vehicles by 2035. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...-gas-powered-cars-by-2035-following-cas-lead/ Won't touch on it again. Just wanted to let you know I wasn't intentionally attempting to take the conversation off-topic. My initial post was about the gas powered LR4 being my last vehicle in light of the ban.

Last edited:

modesto_man

Reaction score
Put me in the "it owes me nothing" camp. But, what will likely keep me with the old girl for life is the cost of replacing her with anything remotely similar or capable.

A non-IBF defender is easily $70-$100K, a triple locked Rubicon is $65-$70K and those costs are before I modify anything to suit my needs. Compared against that, $15Kish to re-engine or $8kish to re-transmission my triple locked Rover with sunk modification costs of $12K-$16K starts to look pretty palatable. Admittedly, I might be different than most as my Rover in not a daily driver, but rather a dedicated camping, hunting, off-roading vehicle. At some point, engines, transmissions, differentials, etc are consumable items. The frame and chassis, not so much. Think Cuba. There are still 1950's American cars running around down there with all sorts of frankensteined mods to keep them on the road.
Well said and I totally agree! I'd be okay with a Defender V8 but it's $120k and I like my lr4's cargo space and styling way better anyway.

L Crist

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been reading along this entire thread as I am also wondering if i should just hang onto mine until she becomes too much of a maintenance/ cost burden. My 2011 LR4 (104k miles) is my daily driver and all around utility vehicle for me. Like what everyone else is saying, nothing else out there matches her exterior styling, handling, driver visibility, and cargo space. It has just enough tech that I can bluetooth my phone and listen to music without every interior surface being a damn touch screen. I drove a new Defender and was underwhelmed.

Over the years, I've had all the usual LR4 engine bits repaired/ replaced and she's running great. Probably another 100k, I'm hoping? I have a long standing deposit on a Grenadier but would definitely need to drive that thing before I make any major decisions. I mean, cost is certainly a factor. Grenaders are gonna run like $90k here in the states, right? How much would a rebuilt LR4 engine cost?

modesto_man

Reaction score
I also have a deposit on a Grenadier (and a rivian r1s). Got to sit in a grenadier last fall (early prototype) and I'm supposedly getting a test drive next month. I expect it to be great off road but I'm skeptical that it will have a comparable on road driving experience to the lr. I just love the amazing combination of ruggedness and luxury of the lr!

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been reading along this entire thread as I am also wondering if i should just hang onto mine until she becomes too much of a maintenance/ cost burden. My 2011 LR4 (104k miles) is my daily driver and all around utility vehicle for me. Like what everyone else is saying, nothing else out there matches her exterior styling, handling, driver visibility, and cargo space. It has just enough tech that I can bluetooth my phone and listen to music without every interior surface being a damn touch screen. I drove a new Defender and was underwhelmed.

Over the years, I've had all the usual LR4 engine bits repaired/ replaced and she's running great. Probably another 100k, I'm hoping? I have a long standing deposit on a Grenadier but would definitely need to drive that thing before I make any major decisions. I mean, cost is certainly a factor. Grenaders are gonna run like $90k here in the states, right? How much would a rebuilt LR4 engine cost?

$16k plus transportation and install.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA