When it rains it pours

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brownie92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I went and bought the u-joints I need to fix the vibration in my DII and now the power steering is messed up. It sounds like there is no fluid in the system (loud groan). It was below zero last night and I read a few post about possible freezing of water in the system. So my question is: is my pump dead now or will it be alright once it thaws out? One other thing, when I took the cap off the resevoir it looked like fluid was circulating around in it at high volume. Is this normal or is there a high pressure bypass that causes this?
Thanks (once again)

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
High volume or bubbling is normal.

To un-thaw if this is the issue, get a normal lightbulb trouble light if you have one, put it under the bonnet near the power steering, and let it run all night long...

Brownie92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried that, but for about 5 hours. A 100 watt bulb against the pump and a 500w halogen pointing in the general direction. I had it in the garage out of thewind but it was probably still only 15F in the garage. If I can get it thawed do you think the pump is salvageble?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would hope so... you may want to flush out as much of the old fluid as you can if you think you had water in it.

Brownie92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to be leaving town for a couple of weeks so maybe when I come back it will be a little warmer. If not then I can change the pump and u-jonts at the same time. Is there a procedure for flushig the system if I don't change the pump?
Also if I do change the pump do I have to "bench bleed" the new one or will the air work it's way out?

Thanks a million for the help, I am in the middle of nowhere Missouri and would have to drive 100 miles to find anyone who has even heard of a Land Rover.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Flushing system, my method would be to disconnect the reservoir and drain... add new fluid, run, disconnect and drain. Do this a couple times and not only should it flush be renew all the fluid.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635