who has the most miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carreragt7

Reaction score
My 06 LR3 has 236k miles and counting. Going strong besides I need to get the EAS checked out (I know, hard to believe as these never have issues).

I'm the 2nd owner, first claimed to never have any issues with the EAS and I have service records for repairs done. I get the suspension fault error within a minute of starting up the vehicle, and it doesn't allow me to change ride height. However, if I turn the car on and immediately change the ride height it will adjust as told.

Besides the EAS issue it has been great for me. I've put 6k miles on it in just over a month. My old commute really piles the miles on my rides, but luckily just switched into a new role in town so commute is less than 2 miles. So mileage shouldn't pile up as quickly.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....so, you're just rollin' with the fault present?

You should get that fixed. What are the symptoms?...maybe this forum can't help diagnose.

carreragt7

Reaction score
....so, you're just rollin' with the fault present?

You should get that fixed. What are the symptoms?...maybe this forum can't help diagnose.

Yeah, it hasn't caused any issues that I've been able to tell, and riding at normal ride height is fine as so far I've only had one chance to have fun off-road with it.

I've been trying to read the forums as much as possible but so much information to sift through takes time.

Essentially the only thing I've been able to notice is the right front side seems to sit slightly lower than the left side.
I've done the Fuse pull trick overnight and it didn't seem to drop down on the bags at all. It does the normal level out dropping soon after turning off the vehicle.
The only time it did seem more serious was after sitting overnight the whole right side had dropped down the lowest setting, which is the opposite of a normal leveling out as that caused the vehicle to be leaning to the right (parked on right hand side of road).
Been looking into finding a decent indie shop that can be trusted but running into schedule conflicts with work. Still don't understand why most mechanics don't have normal hours on at least one day of a weekend, seeing as that is when most people have time off.

Any thoughts? I have been looking into getting the IID tool so I can be more independent on repairs, and like the idea of adjusting suspension ride height instead of Johnson rods or other lengthened rod options. Obviously a good code reading is in order, and would hopefully narrow down the scope of the EAS issue.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend the IIDTool. You could read the gallery pressures as the EAS rises and see if you have a compressor issue. You can read codes and clear them, obviously....and yeah you can adjust the EAS. I had rods but now never use them.

...and this doesn't sound like a calibration issue either since it doesn't give you a cross articulation fault.

whathaway

Reaction score
Just passed 180K and performing many of the "90K" service items myself; oil & filter, air filter, interior filter, plugs, front & rear diff fluid, transfer case fluid, brake fluid replacement, coolant flush and injector service (fuel line).

Any high mileage LR3s replace their transmission fluid and pan/filter? I'm considering an aftermarket metal pan w/separate filter to avoid the extensive procedure to use the OEM one piece plastic pan/filter.

seneyhunter

Reaction score
High Mileage LR3

My 2005 LR3 is going strong at 177K Miles. Gas/V8. I'm the original owner and perform all of the regular maintenance myself. I've had the typical repairs but all in all, one of the best cars I've ever owned. Love the ride.

carreragt7

Reaction score
Now currently sitting at around 245k. My EAS faut ended up being the cracked dryer cap, so I bought the rebuild kit off ebay for $99 and replaced the cap and desiccant. Works great now. The front passenger strut airbag was also leaking, so bought a used one for dirt cheap and that fixed the leaking issue. Also swapped in a new Timken front wheel bearing on the right, and will do the left as I get time. Also bought some front LCAs but have decided the ride isn't bad enough to justify replacing current ones yet.

Overall, from all the records from the original owner it seems like my specific LR3 has been pretty reliable.

trickblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just purchased a 2005 LR3 with 118,000 miles. It is very clean and seams to have been well taken care of. How many miles can I expect out of this vehicle without too much trouble?

Greg

I got just under 200,000 miles on my 2005 before trading it in. Never had a single mechanical issue. It ran great and still got up to 21 mpg on the highway at times...

The only reason I traded it in was I wanted a newer one...

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just turned 145,000 on my 2005 HSE. I am the original owner of this early '05 (shipped without the Bluetooth connection, later installed by me) and have had just about every major and minor issue that is covered on this site. Some of the more obscure repairs have been replacing all of the door latches, along with the obvious tailgate latch. I recently just had the third compressor installed. Which is the first install of the new design and I just replaced the front differential. The rear was done two years ago.

While this vehicle has not been cheap to maintain, (I guess about $3000 a year all up) I have no plans to get rid of it. It is still ABSOLUTELY squeak free and is a pleasure to drive. I have done all of the minor repairs myself and leave the major jobs to the dealer.

How well does this vehicle drive? As I live 150 miles from the dealer and it's the same one from which I purchased new, they always give me a loaner to take home. I drop off on Saturday, come back a week later. So maybe (well not maybe, more like likely) I over-pay for repairs, but I get great service and the loaner is a necessity. The loaners are nice cars. The last was a 2016 Evoke and the one before that was a 2015 Jaguar with 1.7 miles. The service writer and I took the plastic covers off the seats and pulled the floor mats from the trunk! With that service, I was getting an alignment and new tires. Needless to say the old LR3 was feeling pretty shabby compared to the new Jag. Until that is, I got the LR3 back. There is no comparison in drivability, the Jag bucked and hesitated when pulling away, the power curve came on way to suddenly at higher rpm's and the cabin was not as quiet. Don't even get me started on the Evoke! Without commenting on the looks or utility, it certainly should have "drove" better than the LR3.

Anyone contemplating buying a high milage LR3, if the vehicle has been maintained and YOU can afford to do the same, you will be rewarded with an outstanding vehicle capable of surpassing any stock 4x4 offload and rivaling the highway comfort of new cars costing 8 - 10 times what a used LR3 will go for.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM