Who knows the in's and out's of the Black Design Package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brizzity

Reaction score
I've got 2012 HSE LUX and am trying to figure out what was an option black trim wise in '12.
My understanding is the official black design package wasn't available until '13, so I'm trying to figure out
what's what with '12 trucks with black design details.

I bought my truck used from a dealer so I don't know exactly what it originally came with. Based on what I know about the PO, I doubt they did any mods to black out trim so I'm thinking how I got the truck, was how it was bought from the dealer originally. Mine has piano interior trim, black front grill, and black side grills/vents which all seem like they may have been factory. It has black 20" rims. I recently discovered stickers from a powder coater on the inside of the rims so I don't know if they were originally not black, and powder coated by a dealer perhaps, or more likely they were the gloss black option and refinished via powder coating by the reselling dealer before being sold to me. It has gray hood, LR4, and HSE lettering, and gray door handles.

Where I'm going with this, is trying to figure out what would be most "correct" in trying to switch to black letter badges and door handles. It looks like door handles should be body match painted Santorini. I can't determine what the badges should be. Matte, gloss, Santorini? I bought some gloss black letters badges off eBay and they look kinda ******.

There's what i think is a '13 near me and it appears everything is painted Santorini.

I've tried referencing a '12 sales brochure I found but it's of little help beyond confirming black interior trim and gloss black wheels were an option. What's more confusing is it doesn't list Santorini as an exterior option, only Sumatra.

So, can anyone tell me finish wise what was an option in '12, and if that's not what I'm going to
be satisfied with, what were the finishes in the package that began in '13?

Thanks

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can’t tell you what all the options were in ‘12, but the ‘13 sales brochure shows the details of the black design package - Narvik door handles/mirrors, mat black rails, black lettering/badges. https://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/landrover/LR4/Land Rover_US LR4_2013.pdf

Also, Santorini replaced Sumatra in early 2012 according to the fine print in the 2012 brochure (same site above has the 2012 brochure.

Brizzity

Reaction score
Can’t tell you what all the options were in ‘12, but the ‘13 sales brochure shows the details of the black design package - Narvik door handles/mirrors, mat black rails, black lettering/badges. https://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/landrover/LR4/Land Rover_US LR4_2013.pdf

Also, Santorini replaced Sumatra in early 2012 according to the fine print in the 2012 brochure (same site above has the 2012 brochure.

Thanks for that info. I did some digging on the Show Off Your LR4 thread and found a couple '12's that look like mine. It looks like mine is as "blacked out" as was available in '12. To take it further with the badges and door handles, I'd have to go with '13 options which I'm considering. That brochure helped with that, the only thing it doesn't specify is the finish on the letter badges. I guess buying OEM badges would ensure I got whatever the right finish is as opposed to the cheaper options out there that vary.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a factory black package '13. If you want any pics of anything specific I'll send them over. I think the biggest things are the grill, wheels, mirror caps, and badging. My car also doesn't have a LUX/HSE badge. Not sure if that is factory or not.

wallyyfm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Havana with the black pack and all the lettering on the truck is black.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks for sharing the ‘13 brochure. I love having this stuff on hand in my LR files, especially since I’m the 2nd owner and didn’t have a print brochure.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score

for anyone that didnt figure this out, replace the 2013 at the end of the url with 2011, 2012, etc and it will provide that years brochure.

Kristina

Reaction score
My ‘11 Metropolis has Santorini Black mirrors, handles, grill, and side scuttles. The badging is silver.