Who wants oil!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Selza45

Reaction score
Is 5w30 acceptable for areas where summer time temperatures reach 110 degrees and winter temps seldom go below freezing?

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is 5w30 acceptable for areas where summer time temperatures reach 110 degrees and winter temps seldom go below freezing?
The factory owner's manual, and service manual, do not show other viscosities allowed for the 2010-2013 V8 models (not sure about 2014-up V6). In a hot climate, 5W-30 might not cause any problems, however if you aren't experiencing any issues - why not stick with the mfr's recommendations?

Selza45

Reaction score
No issues even with timing chain guides. My 2011 HSE supercharged is approaching 100000 miles and was considering 5w30 due to the mileage. It was just a thought and see what the responses would be.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: I stopped by the dealer last week to buy 2 gallons of Castrol 5W-20 for my 2010. The told me they no longer carry 5W-20... now, they only stock 0W-20 (spec'd for the SCV6, I believe) and 5W-30 (possibly for older engines).

The parts guys checked with the service techs who reported they fill the 2010-2013 V8 LR4 models with 0W-20 now. I declined to purchase any as I'm not a fan of 0W-xx, water-thin oils created almost exclusively for fuel efficiency reasons.

Anyway, I will be switching to Red Line 5W-20 at my next oil change, arriving in 1kmi:
https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/files/tech/5W20_MO_PROD_INFO.pdf

I plan to change every 5kmi with oil analysis, and will update my oil analysis thread with new results as I get them.

:stickyman

echiriff

Reaction score
The Castrol 5w- 20 oil is made to LR specs and not sold anywhere else other than dealer and Atlantic British (there may be another specialized LR outfit that carries it). You can't even get in the Castrol website. I called Castrol and that's what they told me. Hence the nature of the price not to get discounted.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I called Castrol several weeks ago, trying to better understand the "uniqueness" of the JLR Castrol Pro 0/20, could not get a definitive answer, but I was told they recently released the same oil, with a different label for the auto stores nationwide, but would take several months for it to make it to all the stores. She told me the new label, but I don't remember....I use AMSOIL in all of my other cars, and debating on just going with that for the 2015 LR4.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM