Windscreen Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrj115

Reaction score
Howdy All,

In an unfortunate run of bad luck I've broken 3 windshields on my LR3 in the past year. Not learning from past experience the first two times I kept my deductible where it was (slightly above replacement cost). Since I seem to go through these things rather quickly and its a significant hit my to wallet for this go around, other than the convenience factor, is there a downside to replacing the heated glass with non heated glass? Its about a $500 price difference and if I stay on my current pace it will be time for new glass before the frost gets here.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Matt

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on where you live. I live in the mid-Atlantic area, and my window heating element stopped functioning last year. I just used the "traditional" hot air defroster and it works OK, but not as fast as the electric window element.

As a side note, my dealership could not duplicate this condition when I reported it under warranty last year (long story, won't bore you with the details, but this is the one time that they let me down) so it will be going back again this winter. I took video of this condition using real snow/ice and have everything documented.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few with incorrect glass. No lights or anything, just doesn't have the correct glass. Some glass companies are picky about this, so you have to be nice to them.
P.S. We had frost last night.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no down side to using non heated glass as long as you have no need for it.

mrj115

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. My concern stemmed from the thought that the glass is wired with electrical current and when the switch is pressed would it create a short. I've spent a lot of time with the Lucas electronics on my Triumph motorcycles and don't want to unnecessarily tempt the Prince of Darkness.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Props for being on top of the possibility of a current issue, but really, nothing to worry about. If you are seriously concerned, just tape over the ends of the plugs to prevent dirt, water, etc ingress, so that when/if you put heated glass back in you get a good connection.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will get a check engine light eventually. If you don't repalce it with the correct heated glass, the contacts will be incorrect. I believe there may be four total, two on each side. (or it may be just two total) Over a long time, "a few months" I was told, the computer will eventually throw a code becase everytime it checks on the windsreen heater circuit, there is no response.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
My insurance co told me that they will replace my windshield with an aftermarket unit, not OEM. They said they will only pay so much and if I want OEM, i can pay the difference. Does anyone have an aftermarket windshield and how does it differ from OEM? thanks.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your original had heating and the new non OEM does not, it will throw error codes. I would not do non OEM, especially in this case. (I didn't think insurance companies could demand non-OEM if there is no similar non-OEM available. In other words, if you orginally had the heating in the glass, they can't just replace up to a windscreen with no heating. They typically have rate charts that they use for the best price for this stuff, but it has to be like kind. My understanding was that with the heating, OEM is the only one availalbe.)

goinsurfin

Reaction score
If your original had heating and the new non OEM does not, it will throw error codes. I would not do non OEM, especially in this case. (I didn't think insurance companies could demand non-OEM if there is no similar non-OEM available. In other words, if you orginally had the heating in the glass, they can't just replace up to a windscreen with no heating. They typically have rate charts that they use for the best price for this stuff, but it has to be like kind. My understanding was that with the heating, OEM is the only one availalbe.)

Exactly, thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99