Wipers making crack-back sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drewman75

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. I honestly didn't expect so many responses since I thought it may just be mine, but it looks like a lot of folks are experiencing the same thing to one degree or another. Great suggestions. Thanks. I'll give them a try and see if I can find one that helps minimize it.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean the glass like this.

I knew Land Rover had a bulletin on this:
TECHNICAL BULLETIN No: LRA501-002
Issue: 1
Date: 19 Sep 2007
CIRCULATE: TO ServicXe Mgr WarXra nty WorkXs hop BodyX S hop PaXr ts
NOTE: The information in Technical Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge,
tools, and equipment required to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur
on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be
performed by “do-it-yourselfers.” If you are not a Retailer, do not assume that a condition described affects your vehicle.
Contact an authorized Land Rover service facility to determine whether the bulletin applies to a specific vehicle.
© Land Rover 2007 Page 1
SECTION: 501-16
Windshield Wiper Noise, Judder or Streaking – Cleaning
Procedure
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
All
CONDITION SUMMARY:
WINDSHIELD WIPER NOISE, JUDDER OR STREAKING
Situation: A customer may report a concern of the windshield wipers squeaking, juddering or
streaking the windshield. It has been found that a build-up of dirt and grease on the surface of the
glass can lead to this concern.
Action: In the case of a customer concern of the above, the application of the screen cleaning paste
is an effective method of thoroughly cleaning the surface of the glass. The screen cleaning paste is to
be made available as a customer paid repair only and is not claimable under warranty.
PARTS:
DNJ500340..............Screen Cleaning Paste Qty 1
TOOLS:
No special tools required
WARRANTY:
NOTE: This procedure is to be carried out on a customer paid basis only and is not
claimable under warranty.
Normal warranty policy and procedures apply.
SERVICE TIPS
1. Remove road film and oil deposits from the glass with the application of Land Rover 'Screen Cleaning
Paste', following the instructions on the container.
2. Examine the wiping edge of the wiper blade; if free from wear, scoring or deterioration, operate the
windshield washer and wiper functions to check the wiper judder or streaking has been rectified.
3. There should be no requirement to replace the wiper blade assembly or wiper arm, unless there is a
manufacturing defect in one of these components.
4. The glass should always be cleaned using Land Rover 'Screen Cleaning Paste' immediately before
installing a new wiper blade assembly.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I now remember the Audi dealer telling me to clean the windshield on my old allroad with Soft Scrub to get the grime off and it really worked great. I totally forgot about that.

dragan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I order screen cleaning paste from LR dealer 21$.
Should get tomorrow .will let you know what will happen

dragan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I clean may windshield today whit screen cleaning paste from lr dialer after cleaning I put seem water and no change noise is still there. Maybe my windshield is to clean.
So I vent and buy bosh wiper blade and replace my 15 day old rein-x.
I don’t know what ells to do
:confused:

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my experience, Rain-X made the worst noise so I changed to Bosch and the noise is now almost gone.

So, in your case, Bosch didn't help?

dragan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for replay
Lest time may bosh wiper les for 6 mantis I agree whit you. I install new today aftenon, and I hope will les long time

dragan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody
I replace my wiper on 8-5-09 whit bosh blade today may viper start jumping again I don’t know what is the problem I did everything, Clean windshield & new wiper .I order new viper from Atlantic British today Silblade Performance Flexblade Silicone Wiper Blade will see may work better.
I need help to resolve this problem

drewman75

Reaction score
I feel your frustration. I have pretty much tried everything and most the suggestions here with no luck. I have tried different wiper blades and different cleaners and the cracking noise eventually comes back. It might go away for a couple days or a week, but it always resurfaces. It is an obnoxious noise and makes driving in wet weather a serious pain. It has been to the dealer three times and each time they try to tell me I need new wiper blades and try to sell me new ones. The first time I was naive enough to believe them and let them do it. One would think they would have it in the system somewhere that they just replaced them less then 4k miles ago and they would stop trying to pull that. I'm at a loss. Never had this problem with any vehicle ever. I think the last thing I have to try is what someone mentioned about the old steel wipers? I'll have to look into that as I am stumped at this point.

Last edited:

dry_fly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my OEM wipers with some from SilBlade and have never experienced this. And given everything I drive thru, my windshield should have the same amount of grime if not more than what everyone is experiencing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635