Wipers making crack-back sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just suck it up and get the OEM wipers....I've had no issues.

foofighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just about went nuts these past couple of days. it would jutter just as the driver's side wiper would get up to 12 oclock...got home and cleaned it with alcohol...if this doesnt work...getting new wipers or swapping the left with the right and when that fails...new bosch wipers.

If anyone's interested here are the various part numbers for V8 HSE (dont think it makes a difference)

41922 Excel+ Front V8 4.4 GAS
40722A Micro Edge Front V8 4.4 GAS
47722 Winter Blade Front V8 4.4 GAS
422A ICON Front V8 4.4 GAS
4822 Evolution Front V8 4.4 GAS
41916 Excel+ Rear V8 4.4 GAS
40716A Micro Edge Rear V8 4.4 GAS
40816 HindSight Rear V8 4.4 GAS
4816 Evolution Rear V8 4.4 GAS

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a different TSB which may relate to your issue:

No.: LTB00085

Issue: 1

DATE: 19 Sept.. 2007

SECTION: 501-16

Windshield Wiper Blades Knocking/juddering - Diagnostic Procedure

AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE

WINDSHIELD WIPERS JUDDERING OR KNOCKING WHEN OPERATED

Situation:

The windshield wipers judder of make a knocking noise when operated. This condition could be caused by the condition of the wiper arm mounting or spindle.

Action:

In the case of a customer concern of the above, follow the diagnostic procedure outlined below.

NOTE: Technical Bulletin LTB00074 should be referenced to ensure the root cause of any judder/noise is not due to a permanent set condition of the wiper blade.

NOTE: The following conditions are NOT associated with this concern and are therefore not covered by this bulletin:

^ Parts damaged in car washes.

^ Bent levers or wiper blade structure.

^ Bent arm-pieces to modify the attack angle.

^ Damage of the wiping edge of the blade (torn or sections missing).

^ Damage to the wiper blade rubber due to contamination with fuel, solvents or silicon-based products.

^ Contamination on the wiper blade which would prevent the blade from performing its function of clearing the screen of water. Examples are: Fuel, wax, dirt, bird excrement, dead insects, and plant material.

PARTS

TOOLS

WARRANTY

NOTE: Repair procedures are under constant review, and therefore times are subject to change; those quoted here must be taken as guidance only. Always refer to DDW to obtain the latest repair time.

DDW requires the use of causal part numbers. Labor only claims must show the causal part number with a quantity of zero.

DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE

NOTE: GLOBAL TECHNICAL REFERENCE (GTR) LOOKUP SEQUENCE IS AS FOLLOWS:

^ GTR Home> NAS > Model > Service Information > Model Year> Section: 84.15.02 - Wipers and Washers.

OR

^ GTR Home> NAS > Model > Service Information > Model Year> Section: 501-16 - Wipers and Washers.

1. Remove the windshield wiper arm.

NOTE: Use the illustrations below for comparison purposes.

2. Visually inspect the windshield wiper arms and spindles.

^ Figure 1 is an example of a wiper arm which has been under-tightened. The arm has loosened and the splines of the spindle have worn away the material of the arm.

^ Figure 2 is an example of a spindle with a build-up of material from the wiper arm. This material should be cleared using a wire brush.

^ Figure 3 is an example of a wiper arm which has been misaligned on installation. The arm has worn in one area. The resultant wiper performance is affected by the incorrect angle of 'attack' of the blade on the glass, causing a poor wipe, noise and/or judder.

3. If any of the above conditions are found, the other wiper arm head should also be inspected for the same symptoms.

4. Any wiper arms showing evidence of the above conditions should be replaced.

NOTE: Land Rover Special Tool LRT-84-100 must be used when installing the windshield wiper arms on Range Rover (LM) models.

NOTE: GLOBAL TECHNICAL REFERENCE (GTR) LOOKUP SEQUENCE IS AS FOLLOWS:

^ GTR Home> NAS > Model > Service Information> Model Year> Section: 84.15.02 - Wipers and Washers.

OR

^ GTR Home> NAS > Model > Service Information> Model Year> Section: 501-16 - Wipers and Washers.

5. Install the wiper arms.

6. Tighten the nut to the correct torque for the vehicle:

^ Freelander (LN) 18 Nm (13.2 lbf ft).

^ LR2 (LF) 25 Nm (18.4 lbf ft).

^ LR3 (LA) 18 Nm (13.2 lbf ft).

^ Range Rover (LM) 34 Nm (25 lbf ft).

^ Range Rover Sport (LS) 18 Nm (13.2 lbf ft).

Attachments

• 133494313.jpg
    133494313.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 133494315.jpg
    133494315.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 133494317.jpg
    133494317.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 106

foofighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for that post...i'll have to look at it...also somewhat related and i know i should RTFM but the wipearms is there a release mechanism to get it pull back so it's upright so one can clean it and service it? right now it'll pull back a few degrees and stop

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No "release" for the wiper arms. I just replaced the blades (Bosch ICON's 22") and took a very close look at the arms wondering the same thing. The housing at the bottom of the arm hits a stop after a few degrees of lift. These have a hook style end and you only need to lift them a bit to release the blade and slide it off the hook. The new ones slide back on the same way.

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No "release" for the wiper arms. I just replaced the blades (Bosch ICON's 22") and took a very close look at the arms wondering the same thing. The housing at the bottom of the arm hits a stop after a few degrees of lift. These have a hook style end and you only need to lift them a bit to release the blade and slide it off the hook. The new ones slide back on the same way.

I just purchased a pair of SilBlade Flexblades, which look similarly designed to the Icon's.

I've used the Icon's on my previous vehicles, and they never really lasted longer than a couple of months.

I do like the "Flex" type design, as it seems to help make better contact with the window. But I havent mounted the SilBlades yet though.

They seem to be very highly reviewed, and hopefully will last longer than the Icons.

foofighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so check this out. jutter still there...BUT it would intermittently get quiet for a few strokes and then jutter again...*** Im swapping blades if they're the same length to see if that fixes it or the jutter follows that wiper

foofighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
swapped the blades and now BOTH jutter although the drivers side doesnt do it nearly as much...i'll be buying a set of wipers soon.

drewman75

Reaction score
Thanks bscmich. I suspect this may have been what the dealer referenced the last time I complained about this. Every time I take it to the dealer, I mention this and also made a trip specifically for it. And each time they would "do something", it would stop for like a couple days and then start right back up. This last time, it never came back. There was nothing on the paperwork about what they did other then saying they replaced the blades again for like the 4th time. I wonder if they did it under the radar since it was somethign I have asked them to look at numerous times in the past since as anyone that experiences this knows it is mind numbingly madening. An hour drive with that cracking and you want to hang yourself. Can they even do this? Meaning not put it on my customer paperwork? Last time I was there for a regular checkup, I asked the service manager if he could check into whether this was what they worked off last time, but he never got back to me. So I am in the dark as to what they did that actually resolved it. I am pretty certain it isn't from replacing the blades again since they have done it a bunch of times. Oh well.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge