Wont Start - Fuel Pump Relay Grounding Issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dthomp87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would this capacitor effect the fuel pump? When I turn the car on there is no fuel pressure. Im pretty sure its either the pump or the ECU not telling the pump to turn on. The strange relay behavior makes me think that there is a wiring problem or my ECU is not telling the pump to turn on because its defective or its getting an error on a system that is keeping it from sending the fuel pump on signal.

I came to this conclusion by depressing the valve on the fuel rail and turning the car to on several times and no fuel comes out at all.

Now that I think about it, perhaps the car is out of fuel and the gauge is stuck. Ill try adding some fuel just to rule that out. I kinda doubt this is it because i put my ear to the gas tank and told my wife to turn the car to on and then off a few times and I never heard anything.

dthomp87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
268a0131f9f5b17fe81e2aa3364c1a28.jpg
4d6975d2f1c3ecab031919de832ec062.jpg

This is a scary find... That wire is inside the tank.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

dthomp87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so i cleaned up the contacts really good with sandpaper and electric cleaner then loaded it up with dielectric grease and the car starts and runs great now. Unfortunately the fuel gauge no longer works. Not sure how i messed that up but i did have to remove the float lever taking it in and out hopeully i didnt break it. Not really looking forward to dropping the tank again.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trynian

Reaction score
Taking out the tank is no fun. What year is yours? Somewhere after my 06 the rear sensor at the fuel pump came with a ground wire mine did not have. They are pretty hard ro mess up maybe you just got the sensor out of alignment which will cause it to give funky readings and eventually fault to empty. Worst case you can just replace that sensor.

dthomp87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its an 05. This morning, mirraculasly the fuel gauge was working. I wonder if its because its low on fuel and the sender only works in a certain range. Ill fill up today and see what happens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM