X5 to LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fm540i

Reaction score
19s on my 012 LUX. Rides great. Actually looking at moving up to 20s.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd stick with 19" tires. More rubber is better. If you are going to put off-road tires on there, you'll want the 19" model. Actually, you can get some old 18" rims off an LR3 owner and really up your tire options.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFAIK, 18" OEM wheels off an LR3 won't fit the LR4's larger front brakes. However, some aftermarket 18" rims (such as Comps PD1880) will.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the factory 20's for the looks...that's what I got

bash535i

Full Access Member
Reaction score
zgaspen,

I've driven the X5M, had a 2009 BMW 535i, currently have a 2003 Montero Limited, 2011 Cadillac CTS-V, 2011 Camaro SS, 2010 E-series Mercedes and a 2012 LR4 Lux with the 20" gloss black wheels.

In my opinion, if you only want a good handling, easy riding vehicle for the road, go with a BMW CAR- they really are a great combination of handling and ride. They really are a driver's car even if you aren't out for the fastest vehicle.

It doesn't seem like you are looking for one of the fastest, baddest, best handling vehicles around, so no need to comment on the Cadillac.

If you want a good riding, versatile, utilitarian vehicle with ample power- go with the LR4. I really don't see how you could go wrong as long as you are comfortable with the dealer and are okay with the mileage. If most of your driving is highway, you won't be bothered much by the mileage and my LR4 dealer has been as good or better than my Mercedes and BMW dealers.

On the wheels, I would recommend going with 20" and then if you need something more rugged, get a set of 18" wheels and tires that will fit. I went with the 20" and then bought a set of 19" wheels to keep Nokian winter tires on. There is only a very, very slight difference in the ride and you don't really gain that much shoulder. If I were to do it over, I'd have the 18" and 20". If I could only have one, it would most definitely be the ones that it came with, the 20" gloss black.

I'm sure other opinions will vary, but there you have it.

Wishing you best regardless of what you decide.

Sgrodz

Reaction score
When I started looking at the LR4, I had my heart set on getting the 20's. However, I personally like the stock 19' wheels on the Lux and as you mentioned, visually the 19s look really nice. I actually had the salesman put a Santorini Lux (which we ultimately chose), a Santorini Lux with the black 20s and finally the Lux Limited all side by side. I personally don't care for the gloss black wheels (although I think these hide break dust best). The solid 10 spoke wheels just seemed to pop against the black....again, personal preference. Also, size wise, I was hard pressed to notice a difference between the 19 and 20s. Good luck an let us know what you choose.

Last edited:

zgaspen

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the additional advice and thoughts. Late this afternoon I reserved a Santorini Lux that had recently come in. Beige/Arabica interior, Lux and Heavy Duty packages with the standard LUX 19" wheels. I went back and forth debating the pros and cons of 20"s and decided I actually like the look of these 19"s the best (the standard HSE are really nice as well) and that after coming off of staggered 335/35 20's on my BMW, I would prefer having the 19's as 55's with more rubber to work with. A test drive back to my house and through some curvy/steep mountain roads on the 19's pretty much sealed the deal. The 20's are great, but for where I live (the mountains), and the bulk of my driving on paved highway in a winding canyon and side roads, the 19's rode exceptionally well and make more sense. I'm still really surprised how nice the car cruises. Sure, the X5 has more power and performance, but I can get something for that down the road and this can serve me better now with the space and versatility to do go wherever, whenever.

I also went back and forth on the Adaptive headlights and concluded I could get by without them as long as I had the Xenons. I've had both Acura and BMW adaptives for some time now, and I can certainly see where they work well, but I'm sure after two nights of driving home I'll forget all about them. The Xenon's are certainly bright, that I've seen. The dealer mentioned they did not make any orders for the Vision Package this year after lots of problems with the cameras and various supply issues. I don't need the cameras or mind flipping my own brights, and I definitely don't need something else to chance going wrong, so I think I'll be perfectly happy and $1,200 ahead.

I also had more time today to compare the HSE versus LUX stereo. As a novice audiophile, hands down the LUX system is one of the best car systems I've heard. No issues with the bluetooth iPhone setup using the hardwire for playing and the bluetooth for talking and back and forth. Actually surprised how easy the interface is to use and the entire NAV in general. Lots of people complain about the BMW iDrive, but I at least got used to my 2011 and think I may like the LR's system better even despite the tiny 7" screen. All in all, so much more impressed than when I tested the LR and RR in both 2010 and 2007. Possibly even more impressive is the dealership- the staff is virtually the same 5 years later and that says a lot about the brand. Night and day difference from the terrible BMW dealerships I've dealt with the past few years. Great service departments and vehicles, but that's about it.

The X5 and the LR4 are great vehicles. Which truck is better all really depends on your needs. While I will miss the mileage, the lack of a diesel option and torque, and, well, no ventilated seats (hence going at least for the beige, which also does look really nice), the versatility and durability of the LR4 make up for it all. The ride is just as nice and the interior just as comfortable for everyday. Also unique to my decision is an LR dealership 20 miles away versus 200 for BMW, but I think I'd still choose the same if both were that near. Still a little nervous about reliability after zero problems with the X5, but that's a risk that should at least be fun to take and I won't mind any quirks.

Thanks again for everyone's input...looking forward to making the trade.....

Last edited:

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The x5 looks so small when next to the LR4. The third row seat in the X5 is practically laughable. I believe the interior dash of the X5 is more refined than the LR4. Utility wise there is no comparison. The LR4 is so much more capable and can carry more people in a more practical sense. Technology wise I believe the X5 has a bit of an edge over the LR4. There are also a few more options available on the X5 that are not available on the lr4.
I had a difficult time deciding between the two cars myself. It finally came down to practicality. The le4 is much more of a head turner than the X5.

96_993TT

Reaction score
I purchased my 2012 LR4 with 20's and they look and drive great. I have a second set of wheels (5) from a 2009 RRS that are 19's and I switch them during summer for taking it offroad. Just about to pull the rack off and switch back to the 20's for the Fall/Winter. Personally, on pavement I can't tell the difference but didn't want to chew up the 20's taking it in the woods. Just keep in mind that you'll need to get TPMS sensors for the second set that are for 2012's or you'll have the TPMS light on the dash blinking. Sensors from previous years won't work. If you're looking at a 2010 or 2011 LR4 it won't matter. At least according to my dealer...

zgaspen

Reaction score
I think for simplicity sake, I will stick with the 2012 19" Lux wheels and swap out tires when needed for seasons. I personally really like the look and am hoping the much higher profile tire wears better on the rim. I suspect it will.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo