ZF8HP70 for ZF6HP28 swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the 2012 model year 4th gear tops out at 121 MPH according to a brochure. 4th gear is a beauty. I can't wait to be on private roads in Mexico to wind it out. It does seem like a plausible claim because it will do 100 MPH easily.
If you live anywhere in the lower 48 you can do 125 in a V8 LR4 on the Maine turnpike on the way to see OP in Bath.
I might have, maybe, just might have heard of a guy who did that once or twice: might be a lie, but who knows?
I'm pretty sure they could land A380s on certain sections of that road stretch.

ebp02

Reaction score
New to the forum, read the entire SCV8 odyssey and looked at this transmission talk.... Dude honestly I would've simplified things and just found a FB marketplace scv6 partout and pulled the ECU, harness and all else you need like infotainment and trans, make the 5.0 chassis think it's a 3.0 that would run a sc engine with the trans you want now as intended, now for the 5.0 I'd get the scv8 harness and get the Bosch ECU flashed with the scv8 tune or have an scv8 ecu Coded with the VIN. That would solve a lot of problems if you're hell bent on keeping your current chassis.

BTW big fan of all the tinkering and figuring things out. I myself would love to figure out how I can at a 2 speed transfer case to my single speed scv6. Figure I need transfer case, harness, lil button array in center console and either 2 speed TCU coded to my vin, my TCU flashed with the correct file or just check a box via IID Gap.

Anyways best of luck!

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, the physical installation is relatively easy. There will be a little wiring involved as the 8spd is an electronic shift and the 6spd is a mechanical shift. (this refers to the gear selector in the cabin). Luckily, you can get a dial selector pretty cheaply off eBay. Then you'll need to remove the "shift stalk" and install the dial shifter. The transmission will bolt right up and everything should be good to go.

The biggest unknown is simply the software integration. Is it as simple as letting the CCF know what engine and transmission are installed, or is there an engine ECU flash that'll need to be performed. In theory, the trans TCM should talk to the engine ECU for shifts but will the Denso ECU understand the 8spd TCM? If we have to flash the ECU, only the Bosch ECU's run the 8spd....can we flash Bosch files to a Denso ECU?

As others have pointed out, I've got one swap in the works, I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle this one too...but an 8spd behind the V8 sounds like A LOT of fun!

Maybe if I have more time or money I'll try this...just not right now. I'm kinda under the gun for all my projects as I've got another move coming up this summer and I need to finish the projects I have before taking on anything else.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72