19" Tire Option Discussion - Again!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw it and read about it too — in one of your posts in the off-road photos thread! I've never read about them anywhere else.

So you are back to the Scorpion ATRs or 18 inch wheels. For 18" wheels, the analogous tire size is 255/60-18. In that size you could opt for Nitto Terra Grapplers or the General Grabber AT2, which is a close copy of the BFG T/A KO I mentioned above.

Left: General Grabber AT2
Right: BF Goodrich T/A KO
ge_grabber_at2_owl_ci2_l.jpg
bfgat.jpg

Edit: Further reading indicates that the resemblance between the two is only skin deep. The Grappler AT2 doesn't have the toughened carcass of the BFG. On the other hand, they're much cheaper, and lots of folks happily run on the Grapplers.

When you get those 18" rims (cough cough) I think you should have them painted silver. To me, black rims have a "backyard mechanic" look to them. YMMV.

You know, your pals at GN Vehicle Protection have some adjustable suspension rods that let you go from street height to off-road height in just a few minutes with no tools.

You could get the 18" rims and use them as a second set. Keep your stock wheels for your daily commute, and swap the wheels on the weekend. If/when you decide to sell/turn in your truck, you will no doubt find eager buyers for those 18" rims. If you do that, you can go up to a 265/65-18 (1.5" more in diameter and 0.4" wider than stock) and get some BFG TA K/Os.

P.S.: I had some smilies in this post, but when I submitted it, I was told I had five images in the post. Evidently emoticons are considered as images.

ETA: I think you might have seen the Cooper LTZs in the 18" wheel thread.

Links o zeons from googling cooper zeon ltz 255/55 r19:

http://us.coopertire.com/Customer-C...width=255&aspectRatio=55&rimDiameter=19&tab=1

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop....s=Ordern&typ=R-221210&ranzahl=4&nichtweiter=1

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-18093.html

I'm searching from my iPad so I'm a little ******** on this typing and copy pasting.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey ougrad1,

THANK YOU!!! Your second link is EXACTLY where I saw the tire previously and they have about 12 available (I called). I could not get many answers, but asked them if it was a mistake - as Cooper does not even list the LTZs in the 255/55/R19 size.

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop....s=Ordern&typ=R-221210&ranzahl=4&nichtweiter=1

Why do they have the tires? It's pretty cheap for 5 tires, so I might pull the trigger if this is even legitimate? The customer service guy told me that the tires are new, but have been discontinued. Does anyone know if Cooper used to make a tire?

Also, the first link provided DOES list the size in question for the LTZs... I'm so confused! :)

-David

Hoyas06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David, are you thinking the GY Wrangler MT/R is too aggressive for what you are looking for? I would love to see a picture those tires on a LR4

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David, are you thinking the GY Wrangler MT/R is too aggressive for what you are looking for? I would love to see a picture those tires on a LR4
Hi Hoyas06,

No, not at all! I would love to have a tire like the GY Wranger MT/Rs, but they do not make them in the stock 19" tire size of 255/55/R19. I would open up a lot of tire options if I changed out the 19" wheels to 18" Compomotives from UK (see LT4TQ's recent post for photos). Currently, there is a very limited selection of off-road able tires for the 255/55/R19 size. I am still trying to figure out if I am going to keep the truck long-term, so I am holding off on switching to 18" wheels. In the meantime, I'd like to at least switch out my tires to my stock size, but trying to figure out the best options. Pirelli Scorpion ATRs are likely my only option, but I did find a vendor (thanks to ougrad1's above links) that has some of the Cooper Zeon LTZs in stock. The only issue is that Cooper does not list the size I need for the LTZs on their website, though if you search, you can see it listed. I am going to call Cooper directly. I am assuming the supplier has discontinued tires or something, because it's a great price.

I will keep everyone posted.

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK... got the scoop. Cooper DOES make the Zeon LTZs in the 255/55R19 size, but their website is not updated to reflect this fact. They were released to the US market late last year and are still difficult to get in many areas. Finally an answer!

-David

Hoyas06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That't unfortunate. They look like some pretty mean tires. I'm not going to pretend to know what I'm talking about, but aren't there more options available if you installed something like Johnson Rods?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That't unfortunate. They look like some pretty mean tires. I'm not going to pretend to know what I'm talking about, but aren't there more options available if you installed something like Johnson Rods?
I have no idea! :)

All I know is that on the stock 19" wheel our off-road tire options are extremely limited. At least the Coopers are available, though difficult to obtain.

-David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635