19" Tire Option Discussion - Again!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
That't unfortunate. They look like some pretty mean tires. I'm not going to pretend to know what I'm talking about, but aren't there more options available if you installed something like Johnson Rods?
You're on the right track, and ordinarily you'd be right. If we had 18" rims, there would be a wide selection of tires in a stock or stockish size from which to choose. With the use of height adjustment rods, larger tires are possible, broadening the choice even further.

But most of us have 19" rims, and Johnson rods or not, there just isn't a selection for off-road tires. If you look at the size charts for almost any off-road tire, the sizes jump from 18" to 20" with no 19" options.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're on the right track, and ordinarily you'd be right. If we had 18" rims, there would be a wide selection of tires in a stock or stockish size from which to choose. With the use of height adjustment rods, larger tires are possible, broadening the choice even further.

But most of us have 19" rims, and Johnson rods or not, there just isn't a selection for off-road tires. If you look at the size charts for almost any off-road tire, the sizes jump from 18" to 20" with no 19" options.
Thanks, CaptainSpalding!

That make sense. It is definitely difficult to find off-road tires in our size. With that said, I think I am going with the Cooper Zeon LTZs as they seem to be the tire of choice for many off-roaders and get great reviews both off and on the road. I was assured by Cooper that they are available as of late last year, but can be tough to find. My local tire places would need to special order them, as none of their usual warehouse sources stock the tire. The tire website that ougrad1 provided has about 20 in stock, so I am likely going to get 5 from them and change out my Contis. I just saw pictures of an LR3 fitted with the Coopers and they look awesome - not to mention going through some pretty rough terrain.

Hopefully I won't regret not having the on road performance of the ATRs.

I'll keep you posted.

-David

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I found a great website for tires - they actually have the biggest selection for 255/55/R19s and cheapest prices - by far! I stumbled across this by accident:

http://www.treaddepot.com/tire/01410.html

The link above is to the Cooper Zeon LTZs. They also have the Pirelli Scorption ATRs. This is the best price I found and if you find cheaper on the web, call them and they will match the price. Customer service was awesome - I just ordered 5 tires (Cooper Zeon LTZs).

I can't wait to get them - I'll be sure to post pictures once they are installed.

For now, I will just store my stock Contis in case I need them.

-David

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I found a great website for tires - they actually have the biggest selection for 255/55/R19s and cheapest prices - by far! I stumbled across this by accident:

http://www.treaddepot.com/tire/01410.html

The link above is to the Cooper Zeon LTZs. They also have the Pirelli Scorption ATRs. This is the best price I found and if you find cheaper on the web, call them and they will match the price. Customer service was awesome - I just ordered 5 tires (Cooper Zeon LTZs).

I can't wait to get them - I'll be sure to post pictures once they are installed.

For now, I will just store my stock Contis in case I need them.

-David

David,

That is awesome! Now we don't have to Get out of our 19" wheels to off road with some good tires..looking forward to your future pics and feedback. I'm interested to get your opinion on road noise and comfort compared to the contis.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David,

That is awesome! Now we don't have to Get out of our 19" wheels to off road with some good tires..looking forward to your future pics and feedback. I'm interested to get your opinion on road noise and comfort compared to the contis.
Hey ougrad1,

Going with the 18" wheels is probably the best choice, but I did not want to make the switch right now. Since the Coopers are offered in our 19" wheel size (255/55/R19), then I definitely think it is worth the $1,000 and some change to give them a try. From what I have read, they are excellent on and off the road and have a great beefy look. The tires should arrive the middle of next week and then hope to have them installed late in the week.

I will be sure to post plenty of pictures and let you know how they feel compared to the stock Contis. I will be very anxious to try them out off-road, but will have to wait until I go the first Saturday in May.

Thanks!

-David

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the 255/55/19 Zeons on our Range Rover. (had them installed about a month ago) Love them.... Just a little bit louder at highway speeds than the outgoing Michelin Latitudes. Tons more confidence off road. It hasn't rained here in Denver since I got them, maybe today, who knows. So, I can't really comment on the wet traction.

I also have Zeons (285/65/18) on our LR3. Excellent in snow and exactly as advertised off road. My wife drives the 3, primarily and I'm yet to hear a complaint from her. Though, She has said that people always compliment her on the rig.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the 255/55/19 Zeons on our Range Rover. (had them installed about a month ago) Love them.... Just a little bit louder at highway speeds than the outgoing Michelin Latitudes. Tons more confidence off road. It hasn't rained here in Denver since I got them, maybe today, who knows. So, I can't really comment on the wet traction.

I also have Zeons (285/65/18) on our LR3. Excellent in snow and exactly as advertised off road. My wife drives the 3, primarily and I'm yet to hear a complaint from her. Though, She has said that people always compliment her on the rig.
Hey EIGHTLUG,

Thanks for the response. I am glad to hear you are happy with the Zeons and they do look great. It was so damn hard to figure out if Cooper actually made them in 255/55/R19s! From what I found out, you will not find them if you do a vehicle search for the LR4, as technically the LR recommends a speed rating of "V" and these are something else?

I am really happy with the customer service at treadepot.com and the prices are great. I should get the tires next week and hoping to have them installed later in the week after I return from a trip to Boston.

-David

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps your assertion is a bit broad. I've got BFG Mud Terrains on my Defender and they're great on anything but ice.

But this is practically off-topic, as there is no tire with a mud tread available for the LR4 as far as I know.

this is a well known and accepted reality in tires, ultimately why there are different categories, off road, all terrain and all season......no tire does everything well.....the more aggressive off road tread the worse the stopping distance on wet pavement but better traction off road, so which do you want more, on road traction or off road traction pick one only.....the scorpion atr with its center tread pattern tries to give you decent performance for both road and off road, hence all terrain category.......they roll well, just as quiet as stock contis but def better off road, the coopers prob have a bit better bite in mud compared to scorpion, but most likely worse wet road stopping distance...

also remember no 19" tire will ever be the that great offroad due to relatively short sidewall, a regional dealer bought all the remaining goodyear mtr in the country and had them built up on a 19'" powder coated wheel for 3500, i almost bought them but decided i didn't want to give up wet road performance for better mud traction, when i was likely to encounter wet road much more often, the scorpion atr did extremely well at local land rover event, with them i went through stuff that i would have never done on my own and thought i could with stock size tires, it was amazing.....others with stock tires went through same stuff but with some difficulty, but with the scorpion they made it seem effortless... after that experience i decided the scorpions were plenty of tire for anything i would want to do in my land rover, anything more extreme would have high risk for carnage

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635