2005 lr3 285/60 r18 rubbing frame! help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

anthonyoib

Reaction score
FWIW, my dealer admitted that they took it to the local tire shop to do the alignments - which is what I did to save over $100. You might want to call around, it's not rocket science...

Nobody here in shreveport has the computer to put it in tight tolerance mode to do the alignment ive called all of the tire places here because I didn't want to go to lr but I have my appointment set up for this friday

anthonyoib

Reaction score
Well went to the dealer with my brand new tires and fresh powder coated rims and paid 209.00 for an alignment walked out with four scratched rims! What a deal. Still waiting on lr to get back with me they are trying to get me to let them use a paint guy to fix the rims.....not gonna happen.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd think they would try and be more careful. Ask me why I avoid dealers these days. Granted they're not all bad, but there is no assurance you'll get a good tech.

I'm surprised they're willing to do anything.

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another thing you can do is add wheel spacers and Johnson Rods to keep it lifted (there are also other adjustable rods out there). Have you done that?

tr182md

Reaction score
What are negatives of rods? For this size tire? Are they really needed? Sounds like it varies.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
negatives are that you are then having the suspension always at an angle it was not designed to do 100% of the time. Additionally the handling/safety will be compromised.

I don't care how cheap the rods are...buy a proper electronic tool for height control or live with tires that don't require it. Stick with 265/65x18 and smaller which is really just fine.

---

also, 285/60x18 is considerably wider than 265/65x18. The narrower tire is also more ideally matched to the factory 8" wide wheels. Very likely it's width would not cause the same problem as the OP showed.

Last edited:

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason why LR won't allow you to keep the truck in "off road" height 100% of the time is that it wouldn't pass some safety test but at "normal" height it will. That said in my local LR club there someone that has the rods 4+ years with no problems. Once I sell my kid to buy the compomotive rims I'll probably go for the rod + IID tool and a set of decent size tires

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And 285/60x18 seams a bit big. You over compensating for something friend? Why push the limits with no noticeable difference in performance? Stick with 265/65x18

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason why LR won't allow you to keep the truck in "off road" height 100% of the time is that it wouldn't pass some safety test but at "normal" height it will. That said in my local LR club there someone that has the rods 4+ years with no problems. Once I sell my kid to buy the compomotive rims I'll probably go for the rod + IID tool and a set of decent size tires

It's not as safe, period.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well went to the dealer with my brand new tires and fresh powder coated rims and paid 209.00 for an alignment walked out with four scratched rims! What a deal. Still waiting on lr to get back with me they are trying to get me to let them use a paint guy to fix the rims.....not gonna happen.

10 years ago I would have exclaimed "wow, they did that" or "wow, they are then trying to treat you like that" but unfortunately now, it is pretty much what I expect now. Too many dealers have royally screwed up on my vehicles that I now don't let it out of my sight and I make doubly sure we are all talking the same language...in writing.

Anyway, stay firm about refinishing the wheels. It's total BS they would try to "fix" them for you. Ask if it's OK if you key one of their cars on the lot but "no worries, I'll have my paint guy fix it right up, good as new..."

The only way to do the wheels correctly is full re-do, meaning, stripped, and redo by the powder coating shop. No sanding, no grinding. no "fixing".

Mistakes can happen yes, that's why dealers charge what they do and have insurance for losses due to their own faults. Stay firm with an attitude of "I understand mistakes can happen. it's just business, you'll be needing to cover cost of place who did the finishing first to redo it".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM