Asfir 4x4 sump guard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed both factory sump splasguards, don't remember if they get in the way or not honestly, but regardless, they become redundant dead weights with the Asfir guard installed. I also removed the small plastic spoilers in front of the wheels. Useless as well, and you can actually break them off road. Regarding the install, I am afraid I forgot how I did it... Pretty sure I started with the larger rear section though, very loosely attaching center and rear sets of bolts first. IIRC, the front anchors for that plate are shared as anchor points for the front guard as well, in an interesting stacked arrangement of plates, bolts, washers and locking bars that need to slide into a chassis rail just right before the whole thing can be tightened in place (there were no instructions with mine either, but a one-page packing list / diagram kinda showed where the various nuts and bolts went.) Perhaps Ivan, who just installed his, has a more vivid memory of the procedure. Once you slide under the car and start playing with the guards to see where they bolt on, the whole process will become fairly clear.

A floor jack will help tremendously to lift the heavier of the two plates up against the chassis to bolt it on. And strategically position a. couple of jack stands before you venture under the car. Never trust the air suspensions with your life. I know it's common sense, but some folks don't seem to have any, they just put it in off road height, open a door and figure that's all the safety steps they need to take before working under the car.

Umberto , could you elaborate on the locking bars placement, Do I have to remove front OE plate as well or just the large one?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed both, I recommend you do the same. As I mentioned earlier I also removed the plastic spoiler thingies in front of the wheels, although I don't believe you have to IIRC. I know those bars were a PITA to fit, probably the hardest part of the install procedure. I wish I had the car here to take a look at them and maybe a couple of photos to refresh my memory, unfortunately my LR4 is at the dealer now getting the recall work done and won't be back until Monday.

Last edited:

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took them both off too. Couldn't get the small front piece to fit. I did get the bigger piece on (no mods needed)

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did find out what those spoilers thing are for. Keep some dirt out of the bumper but they failed at that tho!!! Took that off with a star screwdriver and removed the spoilers things and put the screws back on. Do this before you put the plate on you can't bolt the front and take those spoilers things off.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1411263504757.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1411263504757.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 44

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed both, I recommend you do the same. As I mentioned earlier I also removed the plastic spoiler thingies in front of the wheels, although I don't believe you have to IIRC. I know those bars were a PITA to fit, probably the hardest part of the install procedure. I wish I had the care here to take a look at them and maybe a couple of photos, unfortunately my LR4 is at the dealer now getting the recall work done and won't be back until Monday.

Where do those bars go? Are the really front, bolts which attach the bars to front plate , just to keep both plates together or they bolt to the truck? Instructions for install from Asfir would be lots of help. Unfortunately nothing no installation guide came with the plates.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front bolts keep the two plates together AND screw through the frame, if my memory serves me correctly. Those long locating bars/tabs slide sideways into female receptacles right under the bumper, to keep the nuts from spinning as you tighten the bolts, and the Asfir plates centered and up against the chassis. It's a bit of a Rubik's cube to figure out orientation and sequence of plates, nuts, bolts, washers and bars. It'll all make sense eventually, trust me.

Last edited:

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks a lot. I will try to finish this project tonight. I hope this is the last question ( but doubt it :rolleyes: ).
What is the correct order:
1. attach loosely large plate
2. place bar spacer ( I still can not see where they should go)
3. place small front piece and screw it together
I did not expect this to be so confusing.
At least my kids were very impressed seeing LR4 above super extended mode with tires slightly on the ground. Once I am done with this ASFIR project I will post some pictures.

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finish putting it on and took it on a test drive on the rough streets of Tijuana and no irritating sound, rattle or clanking. Front skid is ready for big bear

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at your photos Umberto I didn't get that bar that goes on the front! Can you do me a favor and measure the thickness of it. I'll have one made that way I can put on the front piece of the skid

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TLB, how'd you do? Probably too late to be of any help now, but I was going to suggest you zoom into the last photo of my installed plate (see page 3) as the location of that spacer and front plate bolt is visible. Anyway, looking forward to the installed photos.

Ivan, I can measure it for you on Monday when I get my car back from the dealer. You referring to the strip of foam on the inner edge of the front plate, right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72