Difference between 2016 Landmark and 2016 HSE Lux ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back on topic...

Is there anything special on the Landmark that a loaded up HSE Lux would not have? Dealer has good stock of HSE lux but Landmarks are trickling in.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umbertob,

JLR was sold to Tata in 2008. In automotive design, that is not a "few years", it is a life time.

Ford penned the Evoque and basically sealed the design "fate" of the rest of the lineup for years to come. They designed the aluminum platform the latest Range Rover, Sport 2.0 and upcoming Disco 5 are / will be based on. They fitted their engines in them. The Sport looks like an overgrown Evoque. All indications are the LR5 will look like an overgrown Sport. The Disco Sport looks like a budget Evoque, and as a replacement for the pokey LR2 it is certainly an improvement. Ford very much had a hand in the design philosophy of the "new" Land Rover - and they took bits and pieces with them when they sold the company (Terrain Response.) On the bright side, I noticed the new 2016 Explorer looks a lot less like a Range Rover Sport than the 2014 did, so things will likely work themselves out. :biggrin:

Back on topic, the features that are standard on the Landmark could be ordered on an "old", loaded HSE Lux (although they'd cost quite a bit more overall), except the tan seats and probably a couple of exterior paint colors, which are either new to the line or exclusive to the Landmark edition. The Landmark is a good deal, the only thing that would bug me big time is if I couldn't get it with HD pack. My guess is most owners won't much care about that, however.

Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back on topic, the features that are standard on the Landmark could be ordered on an "old", loaded HSE Lux (although they'd cost quite a bit more overall), except the tan seats and probably a couple of exterior paint colors, which are either new to the line or exclusive to the Landmark edition. The Landmark is a good deal, the only thing that would bug me big time is if I couldn't get it with HD pack. My guess is most owners won't much care about that, however.

Did I also read correctly that they killed the Black Pack? (poorly scanned doc source)

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like they discontinued the 19" black pack only - I guess they ran out of 19" black wheels but they still have 20s? Also gone is "my" Arabica interior leather trim.

Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "build your own" is up on LR USA. Answered both of our questions. There is no 19" Black Pack, but the grille and side vents are black on the Landmark. Wheels do not come in black though, which kind of sucks.

There is the option to add HD pack for $1350.

http://rules.config.landrover.com/jdxl/en_us/l319_k165/

I also find it interesting in the Base and Silver lineup, the only free paint is Fuji White. Everything else is a premium from $475, $950, or $1,800!

Last edited:

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's funny. The Duke of Land Roverness.

Are you ******* on me for buying a used LR4 when in the previous post, you say you'd never buy a new one. I see you must have taken the time to look up the configured price on my rig as you quoted it within a few hundred dollars, a price which I refused to pay.

Since I am in the business, I don't pay retail which I informed the dealer. Since they only sell a few hundred LR4s nationally a month (contrary to your silly statement about not be exclusive), the dealer rightfully told me to go pound sand as there are a number of dumb people (dumb inserted for effect) lined up to buy them with an ADM.

So, I found a lightly used one for significantly less. So, whatever with posting my post about buying an LR4, now run off to your own forum there little disco sport LR4 wannabee.
Oh, sorry, it looks like they don't have one for entry level vehicles. Sorry.

Forty Deuce

Reaction score
Oops. Perhaps I spoke out of turn.

That is until the NEW Defender hits our shores at which his asinine remark will be proved complete BS.

I have a feeling many on here will be clamoring to be Defender owners. As fans of the LR4, it would make sense.

Relax hand wringers, all will be right in Land Rover World soon enough.
:)

Ramajama,
I think I perhaps shortphrased the dealers comments. This guy was a pretty focused salesman and aficionado of Land Rover. Perhaps I assumed too much but judging by his office, rather than the little sales cubicle that all the other salesmen had, and the Land Rover memorabilia, books, and photographs, I am confident he knows much more about LR than I do or likely will. I don't think he was maligning the future of Land Rover, or their products at all. In fact he was very, very, excited about emerging technology. Especially the "transparent bonnet" options, some traction control advances, and safety features. The new Defender will certainly be a worthwhile product. The tone of his words were much more accepting of change than he was critical.

He was impressed with the current production Discovery Sport. It was marketed to them as the replacement "entry level Land Rover" and he said selling LR2's was a chore but the Discovery Sports were rolling out the door as fast as they could stock them. He was equally impressed with the Evoque and my wife is starting to eyeball them for herself.

His comments about the "...end of an era." seemed much more sentimental about the loss (End of Production) of the Defender platform, which as he said had direct DNA to "Huey", the first Land Rover to roll off the line. (Apparently they named it.). The Defender in all its incarnations, was a workhorse of their product line and as likely to be found in the driveway of a British family or farmer as it was under the **** of a British cop, soldier, fireman, explorer, celebrity, or even The Queen of England herself. He said no other Land Rover product until the Discovery/LR3-LR4 could make that claim.

I'm quite sure that as a newbie to this forum (Who doesn't even have his LR4 home yet!) there is much more depth of knowledge about this product line and their history with many of you members. None the less, the "...last true Land Rover." comment may have been posted slightly out of context here and for that I offer my apologies. He simply was stating the pedigree earned by the Defender & Discovery/LR platform in its storied history in expeditions, wars, Camel Trophy's, and such was ending and the likelihood of such a workhorse being produced by Land Rover in the future production was unlikely. He said there was a clear internal shift from the products being designed with military/farm/civil service in mind and being designed and marketed to the civilian market exclusively.

Apparently the demand for the current production Defender with governments and NGO's around the world is thus that while the vehicle itself will no longer be produced as a Land Rover the parts will remain in production for some time and and entire division will (or perhaps already does) support end users of the vehicle. He also said there was some discussion about the Denfender being made outside the UK, under license, as a differently badged vehicle. (This was already done with early Discoverys according to him.) in his words, from his own contacts at Land Rover, the likelihood of seeing a military version of the "new" Defender was minimal.

How much of that is true? I'm not really certain but certainly didn't want to misquote him, especially since he is very active in the Land Rover community and in fact is the one that told me about this forum. I'm not trying to get the guy mad at me by misquoting him or spinning his words the wrong way.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like they discontinued the 19" black pack only - I guess they ran out of 19" black wheels but they still have 20s? Also gone is "my" Arabica interior leather trim.

When the 2016 brochure came out in early May the 19" black pack and the now-missing paint colors were all marked with asterisks noting "available through December 2015 production".

I was unsure what that really meant, but in hindsight they clearly they had this planned out well in advance, as I imagine they would have to in order to launch the changes smoothly.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had a 2nd dealer confirm that 2016 is the last year for the LR4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM