floorboards soaked, and I mean SOAKED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry I'm not able describe it in an effective manner. If you take the rubber boot out, roughly the size of your hand and sits inside the vent and leds to the air cleaner, you'll see a star shaped (if it's not been clipped) rubber drain that sits in the lower left corner of the metal fender. DO NOT CLIP THE BIG RUBBER BOOT!

Good luck. Return and report what you find. I'm on the road so am unable to take any photos, but I will when I get back.

I'm not sure what is behind the foam portion that trynian is talking about, it might be the sunroof drain as well. All i know is that the one I am talking about, vents water as well. I poured cups of water into my sunroof channel and the water came out of that hole. i'm curious now to see what is behind the foam...

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had water come in from the OPPOSITE side of the passenger compartment. I went through a car wash w/the AC/HEAT on OFF and water poured in the passenger well from the right side of the stereo area. Weird. What drains are there--or did water come in through the air intakes at the windscreen?

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it come out through the vent? Check to see if your pollen filter is wet, if so it could be coming from there. The windshield cowl would be leaking? My service tech says 99% of all interior leaks on LR3 are due to sunroof drains.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's nothing to clip....or I'm not seeing it. Maybe I never saw the drain because I didn't "overwhelm" the roof; I just hosed it and let a normal runoff occur. The only thing to clip was not part of the drain-channel but maybe part of the big ol' rubber thing that fits in the vent but I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Sorry for not being able to follow along with your description, but I can only describe what I can/can't see. Does your "drain" include a rubber tube or not?

Houm - we have the same deal. I just pulled ours and looked - we don't have the drain "hose" there to cut either. I even pulled the foam out - didn't see anything. Perhaps there was some sort of break in VIN numbers? Ours is an early '05 - how about you?

-Rich

Trynian

Reaction score
Houm - we have the same deal. I just pulled ours and looked - we don't have the drain "hose" there to cut either. I even pulled the foam out - didn't see anything. Perhaps there was some sort of break in VIN numbers? Ours is an early '05 - how about you?

-Rich

here it is with the foam in place.
DSC06156.JPG

Here it is showing the drain already clipped.

DSC06154.JPG

Mine is an early 06

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here it is with the foam in place.
View attachment 1161

Here it is showing the drain already clipped.

View attachment 1162

Mine is an early 06

Sweet - thanks man. I had actually just figured that out - I was looking directly to the left when I should have been looking behind the rubber air inlet tube (in fact, I ended up pulling it out just like you did to get better access). I have some additional pics if it still isn't clear, but I think Trynian's photos sum it up well (the shot from a little further back is very helpful).

BTW - when I just clipped mine, you should have seen the nasty sludge that flowed out. Wow. Glad we got to this before our car interior got soaked!

-Rich

Trynian

Reaction score
Sweet - thanks man. I had actually just figured that out - I was looking directly to the left when I should have been looking behind the rubber air inlet tube (in fact, I ended up pulling it out just like you did to get better access). I have some additional pics if it still isn't clear, but I think Trynian's photos sum it up well (the shot from a little further back is very helpful).

BTW - when I just clipped mine, you should have seen the nasty sludge that flowed out. Wow. Glad we got to this before our car interior got soaked!

-Rich

Now the fun begins, there are 4 more to clip.

There is another one in exactly the same location on the driver side accept no vent for easy access. You have to take out the fender well and reach up into the same inner hole. Imagine the same location but there is no hole cut for the vent. You have to do it by feel. There is no foam to remove so you can feel it easy.

The there are 2 rear ones behind the fender wells of both rear tires. After the fender well is removed the drain will be torwards the front of the wheel well.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now the fun begins, there are 4 more to clip.

There is another one in exactly the same location on the driver side accept no vent for easy access. You have to take out the fender well and reach up into the same inner hole. Imagine the same location but there is no hole cut for the vent. You have to do it by feel. There is no foam to remove so you can feel it easy.

The there are 2 rear ones behind the fender wells of both rear tires. After the fender well is removed the drain will be torwards the front of the wheel well.

Ah crap :) Just when I was feeling good about myself! Are there three more, or four?

-Rich

Trynian

Reaction score
Ah crap :) Just when I was feeling good about myself! Are there three more, or four?

-Rich

3 more, 4 total. All are easy to get to by removing the plastic wheel wells. The hardest is the driver side because you can't see it and have to do it by feel. If you envision it in the same location as the one you did it is not that hard to feel your way. The same inner openming exists, just not the outer opening where the vent grill is attached. No foam ruber insert there either.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys; that helps...I will check it out tomorrow, but I don't remember seeing a secondary piece of foam behind the big rubber boot thing.

I will probably not clip the others. I have not had any problem with leaking (knock on wood) but I'm just doing this because as far as preventative measures goes, it's low-hanging fruit!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM