Lr4 Mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll let you go first. :wink:

It's fine. I have done the same thing of letting it down to with 20 miles before and it took like 19.6 gallons to fill it up. So I have to a degree been right there with everyone else.

Mostly just looking to see if everyone agrees that the tank is really 23 gallons....

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the range is approaching 0, I fill up. I complained about this before - the range calculation is overly conservative, and for quite a while when I first purchased the car I was convinced the fuel tank of the LR4 was smaller than advertised, 20-21 gallons tops (coming out of my 2006 Sport where I had the opposite problem... I ran out of gas a couple of times by trusting that stupid computer.)

It's not an exact science on the LR4, either. With 5-10 miles or less of range left, I have filled up with as little as 18 gallons or as much as 21. That's quite a swing, and it's got everything to do with the estimates the computer makes based on your most recent mileage and driving conditions. If you are stuck in stop-n-go traffic for an hour and the range shows 10 miles left, chances are you really don't have too much fuel left at that slow pace, and you'd be pushing your luck by going too far past the 0 range. If you are coasting down the highway, you may have enough fuel to drive another 50-60 miles before you are actually on fumes.

We all know it's not a good idea to let the tank run dry or near-dry anyway and suck potential fuel deposits into the engine. So, I fill up when the car tells me I should even though I am fairly sure I still have several gallons of gas left and could probably make it home and back without a problem. I do wish the tank was larger. The new Sport has a 27.5-gal tank AND gets better mileage thanks to the lower weight and the SCV6 engine, so you can reasonably expect 450-500 miles with a tankful of gas. I am lucky to get 300-350 miles out of my LR4. Besides the depressing frequent stops at the gas station, that can be an issue when overlanding.

PeterA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it sounds like the consensus is that running the truck to 0 is completely acceptable as there should be about 3 gallons left in the tank. No?

I say closer to 1.5 gallons when distance to empty is 0

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say closer to 1.5 gallons when distance to empty is 0

I've not yet been at 0 for more than 1/2 mile and don't plan to but I agree, it's always at least 1.5 gallons pessimistic.

We'll be replacing my wife's Mini Cooper S with a 2015 VW Sportwagen next spring 50mpg in the hwy (@13.2 gallons = 660 miles)

Last edited:

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've not yet been at 0 for more than 1/2 mile and don't plan to but I agree, it's always at least 1.5 gallons pessimistic.

We'll be replacing my wife's Mini Cooper S with a 2015 VW Sportwagen next spring 50mpg in the hwy (@13.2 gallons = 660 miles)

Quijote,
I had a VW GOLF TDI, could get 54 mpg if I drove the speed limit between Charlotte NC and Washington DC. Its pretty unreal range on those engines, hope you enjoy it.

When I drive the LR4 in town, and feather the gas, I can get 19 mpg most of the time. Lots of slow drivers in Charlotte, so just give it a little bit of gas and coast the rest of the way.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just drove from Cambridge, MA (Boston) to Albuquerque, NM.
Distance: 2,387 miles
Avg. speed: 66mph (traffic, torrential down pour and fog)
Avg. mpg: 18.6

Once close to New Mexico the altitude gain caused a drastic increase in fuel consumption and the loss of power was more than noticeable.
As we initially headed to Santa Fe (ca 7,000ft) the average mpg dropped from 19.4 to 18.6... in a matter of miles.
Albuquerque is a little lower so it might be a little better there.

Also the highest rating available for premium is 91...
Would anyone recommend to reset the engine adaptation values with the IIDTool?

Axel

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are these MPG numbers based on the dashboard reading or calculated another way? Using the factory dashboard reading, I find it IMPOSSIBLE to go above 18 MPG with normal highway driving. I am getting around 16mpg...

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are these MPG numbers based on the dashboard reading or calculated another way? Using the factory dashboard reading, I find it IMPOSSIBLE to go above 18 MPG with normal highway driving. I am getting around 16mpg...

These are computer readings. I am pretty happy since when I used to live in Cambridge my mpg would range from 9.7 to 10.4 in the city. And when adding a little freeway it would only climb up to 12.4/12.7mpg.

AdvGuy

Reaction score

I drive a '13 LR4 and use an app on my iPhone to track mpg's, maintenance, etc. I typically average 17-19mpg in my LR4 driving around Charlotte NC and to/from Charlotte and Raleigh NC. My LR4 computer calc is usually about 1 mpg more generous than my app

When I drive to to/from Charlotte and Raleigh - i typically drive through the Uwharrie's (mountainous) and have no problem averaging 20mpg on 2 lane country roads going about 60mph.

When I drive hwy mileage, i cruise 67-71mph (depending on speed limit) and my mpg is typically 18.5.

My combined city/hwy driving mpg is usually around 17.5 mpg, which can be 50/50 city/hwy.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99