MT/R 19 finally here??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spiker ran these for a short while. Even with a software hack for a permanent 1" higher running height, he was rubbing.

Glad you said something about Spiker running them Nathan. Because I was planning
to spend the day sitting up at West Coast Rover for that hack just so I could run
the M/T's. I would like to hear Adam's experiences with this set up.

Last edited:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Cooper STT's are more aggressive than the Goodyear MTR's that I think you are refering to? Check with Adam before you decided to do or not do something based on my third hand comment.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They look great. They give the LR3 a real aggressive look for sure. I figure that eventually I will go with a MT of some sort, in that size. ...but in the meantime I'm happy with my Zeons.

...until I get stuck, I don't think I need Mud tires.

OffRoving

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the record: any modification to the height sensor arms or software is only a potentiometer alteration. In order to reduce full compression dims would be to add a bump stop so the wheel cannot compress into the well as far.

That said....

I ran the MTR's and loved them. Very tough looking and grippy. However, even with the 1" software lift, the car can still go into the same full measure of wheel compression into the wheel well, so they still rubbed. They simply rubbed sooner than a smaller tire.

Point is, when you go into full compression one hopes you are crawling at a snail's pace through a rock crawl or similar. If you are racing through dips and bumps [also causing full compression] then no matter what tire you're running, your screwing up your rig.

In the very last hours before heading to CO for the GDIII, I opted to put the AT's back on, simply for fuel economy and ride quality and balance of tarmac-wheelin performance. I would wheel them and still have them for this purpose. I simply found that where the MTR's would prevail, those situations would be relatively few compared to the numerous situations where the AT's would take me through with similar confidence.

At the end of the day, you can do either. Just decide before-hand what your purpose is and what you're willing to give up to have it.

BTW: took my rig in for its last service prior to hitting 50k miles and included the replacement of the front tie rods [which includes an alignment], and the dealer [LRMission Viejo] did NOT reset my suspension height. I seem to see somewhere that dealers were checking this/making it part of their protocol. Just wanted to say that I appreciated them leaving it alone.

CopyofCopyofJuneOffRover007-1.jpg

JuneOffRover007.jpg

Last edited:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adam, you said MTR, but I think you meant STT, right? Coopers not Goodyears?

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I would go for the Goodyears over the Coopers. Only reason being is that
If I went too aggesive my wife would scream foul.

OffRoving

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, "mud terrain" was in my head. Yes, I do not have MTR's, I meant STT's. Sorry for the confusion.

Coopers rule. Sticky compounds.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hankook makes a nice m/t in a 275/65/18 as well. they look nice and I beleve a few bucks less, Red Mountain Rovers usually has a pair on a LR3 for sale.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, "mud terrain" was in my head. Yes, I do not have MTR's, I meant STT's. Sorry for the confusion.

Coopers rule. Sticky compounds.

So Adam, I could run the Goodyear MTR's 275/65-18 without the height sensor adjustment and not have too much of a rubbing issue? Or do I definately need the modification to run this size?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635