MT/R 19 finally here??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the GY 255/55/19's on my LR3 and I love them. They look good and tuff and they seem to handle very well on the road. I had the dealer put them on before I took the vehicle home and I don't remember much about the test drive but I am sure they are quite a bit louder than the stock tires but it's not that loud. Probably what you would expect from any Mud Terrain tire. As for wear I can not comment as I have only had the vehicle a little while and have only put about 1,500 miles on them so far but if they wear out in 30,000 miles I will just put new ones on. I like the looks of them and to me that is more important than the price of the tire (although they are very expensive, paid $350.00 per tire out the door). As I put more miles on them I will report back on the wear characteristics.

On a side note: Will doing the sensor lift void any warranty or should a guy take them off before taking the truck into the dealer. Also, does it effect the cornering ability of the truck (ie. does it feel even more tippy in corners) Can you drive the thing in access mode and it be similar to the normal ride height.

Thanks,
Trevor

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that traction-wise they'd be on par. Boaz, my Zeons rub up front, mainly in "normal" mode, when I turn. Do you (or anyone else) have this issue or is that due to my aftermarket rims that have a slightly bigger offset than the LR wheels?

I'm wondering how that offset will impact the fit of 275/65R18s if I decide to fit the MT/Rs. I know there is only one way to find out...but I'm curious if you are experiencing any rubbing with your Zeons up front.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a side note: Will doing the sensor lift void any warranty or should a guy take them off before taking the truck into the dealer.
Modifications in themselves do not void any warranty. However, if it can be shown that a modification caused or assisted in the fialure of a component, the manufacturer has the right to refuse to warranty the repair. Fair enough, the engineers designed the system/vehicle to operate a certain way, if the system is modified beyond those parameters, how can they guarantee operation?
That said, of the folks who have lifted their vehicles, I've not seen one yet report a failure to shocks or other suspension compnents.

PicnSav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a side note: Will doing the sensor lift void any warranty or should a guy take them off before taking the truck into the dealer. Also, does it effect the cornering ability of the truck (ie. does it feel even more tippy in corners) Can you drive the thing in access mode and it be similar to the normal ride height.

Thanks,
Trevor

I switched back to the original sensor rods before taking it back to the dealers. Switching back took me 16 mins. Not worth taking the chance.

You do lean more cornering, but nothing scary.

No, you can't drive in access mode past 15mph(?). Access mode is still acts like access mode, just higher.

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I switched back to the original sensor rods before taking it back to the dealers. Switching back took me 16 mins. Not worth taking the chance.

You do lean more cornering, but nothing scary.

No, you can't drive in access mode past 15mph(?). Access mode is still acts like access mode, just higher.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense. Do you leave yours on all the time (except for dealer service) or do you switch back and forth for when you go off road. I take it that it has not effected your vehicle in any way (except for raising it).

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Modifications in themselves do not void any warranty. However, if it can be shown that a modification caused or assisted in the fialure of a component, the manufacturer has the right to refuse to warranty the repair. Fair enough, the engineers designed the system/vehicle to operate a certain way, if the system is modified beyond those parameters, how can they guarantee operation?
That said, of the folks who have lifted their vehicles, I've not seen one yet report a failure to shocks or other suspension compnents.

That makes total sense to me as I am an equipment manufacturer and if one of my customers monkeys around with one of my designs to its detriment I will void the warranty as well but then again I am sure some of my customers try and get some things by me.

PicnSav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes sense. Do you leave yours on all the time (except for dealer service) or do you switch back and forth for when you go off road. I take it that it has not effected your vehicle in any way (except for raising it).

I switch back and forth.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...back to tires. I run the Cooper Zeons and get no rubbing in the back; unless I'm just not doing rough enough stuff off-road to have my wheels compressed. The 275/65s are only 0.5" larger, so 0.25" in the wheel well. How can the Discoverers rub and the Zeons not rub? The difference is so tiny...

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if you are experiencing any rubbing with your Zeons up front.
I don't get any rubbing up front, but I have LR wheels. So your point about after market rims may have something to do with that. I do get very slight rubbing in the front portion of the rear wheels when under full compression (rock crawl mode for example). But it is very slight. No damage, just a slight rub mark in there. The Discoverers are about a half inch bigger total diameter as I recall, which is why they are worse. I've been told to keep it under 31.5" to avoid rubbing issues.

I went to 1010tires.com and used their size calculator. Here are the results/comparison:
Stock - 255/55/19 = 30.04 in
Zeons - 285/60/18 = 31.46 in
Disc's - 275/65/18 = 32.07 in

PicnSav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had some rubbing from the front left wheel and I have LR wheels with Zeons. The rubbing was on the wire harness when turning hard left. I recently moved the wire harness higher up, but I haven't checked to see if that worked.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo