MT/R 19 finally here??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimRoshan

Reaction score
I just got mine too! I ordered mine from Tirerack.com and love them! My neighbors keep looking at me funny because I stopped using my driveway to get to my garage - I just drive through the front yard now (I have 3 acres of yard in front of my house).

I have a 2005 LR3 HSE with 19" wheels - I have been fighting with finding a solution ever since I bought my rover. I now feel complete. i don't hear any more noise than I did before with my OEM (POS) tires. Actually, I now feel that my Landy drives with a lot more confidence!

I am thinking about installing the LR Roof Rack - Any thoughts? Is there a better system? I would also like to install (4) lights up there - can I do that? What about a spare tire - how would that mount securely?

Can't wait for Monday - it's going to snow!! Yipee!!!!!

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going with LR Roof Rack as heard horror stories - bending breaking not being able to withstand much weight. I decided to go with roverracks.com They have racks very similar to the SD racks which I have on my RR and it has withstood everything I've thrown at it. I like the look of the LR rack better but I needed function. I just got it installed yesterday - they have some neat options like jerry can holder and flooring good pics on the web page. Ask around about mounting your tire on top before you do it - I remember reading somewhere it wasnt advised. I had my GY TA/KO installed in fall what a difference.

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the LR Expedition rack and I wish I hadn't gotten it. I think I am going to switch to the Front Runner rack. The LR rack just isn't very sturdy. There are a lot of other options that are better than the LR rack. I have the GY MTR's and I love them. We just had a bunch of ice and snow here in Tulsa and they performed great in both. I am sure there are better tires for ice and snow but I doubt they would be as good off road as the MTR. The road noise isn't bad and the on road handling seems to be great to me.

Trevor

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front Runner, Brownchurch, Hannibal, RoverRacks, all these are more durable, stronger, more flexible options than the factory rack, but none of them will look quite as well integrated nor have that cool front air dam.

GrahamWelland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of other points about the Expedition rack:
  • I had to get parts made up to hold my shovel and hilift as only the tie-down loops seem to be available either with the rack or as spares.
  • The side trim on the rack will eventually squeak after a couple of years bouncing around. Mine are now (dis)tastefully tapped with duct tape.
With regards to the 19" MT/Rs - how are these for daily vs trail use?
Also I assume that the spare fits properly with the MT/R on it?

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of other points about the Expedition rack:
  • I had to get parts made up to hold my shovel and hilift as only the tie-down loops seem to be available either with the rack or as spares.
  • The side trim on the rack will eventually squeak after a couple of years bouncing around. Mine are now (dis)tastefully tapped with duct tape.
With regards to the 19" MT/Rs - how are these for daily vs trail use?
Also I assume that the spare fits properly with the MT/R on it?

The MTR's seem to be fine for daily use. I only have about 3,000 miles on mine so I can't speak about wear but as far as handling and such they seem to be just as good as the street tires and yes the spare fits under the truck just fine.

As for the roof rack, I found that with a 1/4" bolt (I think that was the size) with a flat washer under the head that it would fit in the slot perfect. You are correct, I have not been able to find anything to hold a hi lift, shovel or axe for the rack. I will have to make something. If you have pictures of what you did I would love to see them.

Trevor

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trevor, try using QuickFists to mount your gear tot he rack.

DMoore

Reaction score
We ran the MTR's on all models for about a year at the Land Rover Driving School. Obviosuly, we didn't put alot of highway miles on them but as some of you have already noted, the noise is not that bad. We had a bit of an issue with balancing one one set but we got that worked out. No issues with the spare fitting.

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had no problems with balancing them so far but I think it is very important to rotate these tires every 3,000 miles. They do have a lot of weight on them to get them balanced but I would think that this is typical of any aggressive mud terrain. At least this is my experience with every mud terrain tire I have ever had.

Trevor

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72