MT/R 19 finally here??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is an update: I will be putting these suckers to the test tomorrow. Here is a look at the LR3 with the 32" MT/Rs mounted; and the sensor mod installed. It is in the new offroad height!

Last edited:

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, I want to see it Dirty!
How was the articulation?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tires did great!

...and the sensor mod did too. It took a while for to me decide not to fight the LR3 and just leave it in what it thought was Off-road Height (really Extended). My running boards, although skid-plated aftermarket, are my achilles heel and I got hung up on them while in normal height (really offroad height) and I tried to then raise up and the LR3 didn't like that. It didn't like me being in Mud 'n Ruts program and not in offroad height either. It gave me an amber suspension fault. I re-booted and it was fine. This might sound confusing but probably not to those posters that run the mod.

Finally I said the hell with it and just left it taller and it was good. The 32" tires do rub a little bit in the stock offroad height; on the trail. On pavement they're fine. So bottom line, if you want to run these tires you really must do the sensor mod, and then run the rig with the normal logic (i.e., "Normal Height" on pavement, "Off-road Height" on trails, etc)...and don't expect to really use Access height much at all.

All in all, I was very happy with everything. This is a trail network that I could not complete last year (stock); this year I led the run. It was great.

As for the bling...not a rim I would choose to use normally; they were $70 a piece at Discount Tire. I was sick of looking for used 18" LR rims and unwilling to shell out $1000 for a set of new ones. I don't give two $hits about those chrome rims because I only have them on the vehicle when I go offroad; the rest of the time my vehicle looks stock.

Here are some pics (yes I caught air on in the second pic!) I have video of my run through this pit (about 12 seconds long) if anyone wants to see it.

Last edited:

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice pics looks like fun. You may to take off the running boards if you dont need them before you rip them off on the trail and have to deal with it in the woods. Why do you think you got the suspension fault? It just suggest off-road height that concerns me a little

Thanks

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW: took my rig in for its last service prior to hitting 50k miles and included the replacement of the front tie rods [which includes an alignment], and the dealer [LRMission Viejo] did NOT reset my suspension height. I seem to see somewhere that dealers were checking this/making it part of their protocol. Just wanted to say that I appreciated them leaving it alone.

CopyofCopyofJuneOffRover007-1.jpg

JuneOffRover007.jpg

How did you know that your tie rods needed to be replaced? Just curious.

Also, it sounds like you'd reccomend an AT tire over an MT? Is that just based on an overall driveability? I'm thinking of new tires and like everyone else looking for the correct direction.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the running boards re-enforced with steel plate about a year ago. They are NOT rocksliders but they have served their purpose. I acknowledge that at some point I may crunch them on the trail. At that point, I would probably get rid of them and get sliders.

...this is one of those things; had I known what I was going to really be doing with my rig before I bought it I wouldn't have spent the money on the LR Running Boards.

I think I got the fault because TR didn't like what I was doing. I was in Mud 'n Ruts and Low Range; so of course it wanted me to be in Off-Road Height. ...but since I knew that with the mod I am running Off-Road Height is actually Extended Height and Normal Height is actually Off-Road Height, I was trying to keep it in Normal. Then when I got slightly high-sided on my running board (and the tires were rubbing at that point) I decided I needed more lift and tried to put it up into off-road height (really extended height).

So there was a lot of weird logic going on. I really don't have a true explanation....but I'm happy that it was only an AMBER fault; and that after one re-boot there were no problems the rest of the day.

Another side-note about the running boards....the driver's side boards have bolts down the side on the rubstrip because of a damn stump. Now the passenger side will too because my rubstrip got ripped off yesterday by a big nasty root. It was a great moment...but that window dressing is susceptible to damage.

1. I don't care about that stuff; as long as my paint and my sheet metal is okay.
2. I actually like the way it looks with bolts down the side; very Frankenstein-looking. It looks "angry" to be honest.

Anyway; yes I had a great time. It was fun.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! The rig looks so angry it's tempting to run the lift and the tires all the time!

...but I won't. Swap of wheels (with tires mounted) and sensor arms took me about an hour; not counting set-up and clean up. Not bad, really....it would take me that long to wait in line at Discount Tire anyhow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72