NAV8 vs SCV6 Comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

..mg..

Reaction score
I just vacationed in NH and rented a place that was on a mountain. The LR4 had to do a 650' climb in less than a mile. Up the hill at 2krpm with 750lbs+ worth of people and stuff, no sweat, smooth as silk not a sense of drama or straining.

I doubt the SCV6 would have felt as comfortable.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if you would have noticed any difference at all. In fact, the negative effects on power at altitude for an FI engine are less dramatic than a NA engine. I'm not just saying this... I have no vested interest in this one way or the other, we just have the luxury of having both engine options.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, since the SCV6 is from jag, I wonder if its been beefed up in terms of seals, water-proofing, belts, steep angles, etc, just the way the V8 was prepped for LR duty when it was originally designed. Unless I have missed it, I have not read anything in that regard in LR press etc the way I had read about the 5.0 V8 when it was first introduced.

This is a very good point. As far as I recall, the V8 has a sealed AC compressor and alternator, amongst other things for the Land Rover models. I'd honestly hope the new engine has the same treatment.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I'd be surprised if you would have noticed any difference at all. In fact, the negative effects on power at altitude for an FI engine are less dramatic than a NA engine. I'm not just saying this... I have no vested interest in this one way or the other, we just have the luxury of having both engine options.

I doubt there are any noticeable effects either way at 1000-1500ft.

And my point was with respect to torque at low rpms. You will notice that difference.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt there are any noticeable effects either way at 1000-1500ft.

And my point was with respect to torque at low rpms. You will notice that difference.

And thats what I had noticed with this engine (V8), the smooth torque, when I had five adults (one of them a big guy) in my car the first time including myself as the driver. Off the line and midrange, the engine pulled like there was no load at all and I was pleasantly surprised. Not that I was on the look out or was conscious to notice these things, I didn't even have the car's performance on my mind at the time. But it just happened so that as I drove around town and on the freeways with my friends that day, car felt smoother with added weight and pulled like there was no loss in power.

Last edited:

..mg..

Reaction score
Just saying.... The attached pic is a spec-based comparison of the V8 and SC V6. With heavier loads, maybe that's where you'd see the difference, but I'm not convinced.

Don't forget the V8 torque is like a mountain - steep build, peak, steep decline. The SCV6 torque curve is steep, then flat lines from 3500-5000 RPM.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    220.7 KB · Views: 79

..mg..

Reaction score
Just saying.... The attached pic is a spec-based comparison of the V8 and SC V6. With heavier loads, maybe that's where you'd see the difference, but I'm not convinced.

Don't forget the V8 torque is like a mountain - steep build, peak, steep decline. The SCV6 torque curve is steep, then flat lines from 3500-5000 RPM.

Mg your chart says simulation...
Indeed. See bold. Matches my real life comparison (for which I don't have log data). I feel like the outnumbered V6 guy here getting beat up on by the V8'ers. :biggrin:

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Indeed. See bold. Matches my real life comparison (for which I don't have log data). I feel like the outnumbered V6 guy here getting beat up on by the V8'ers. :biggrin:

Butt Dyno???? Got a torque curve simulation;)

..mg..

Reaction score
^No, but there are marketing materials showing the difference in torque curves. One is a mountain shape, the other is a plateau shape. My real-world comparison is from lining up an '11 LR4 and a '14 LR4 side by side and doing pulls. I'd be open to accepting Paypal donations to help fund the cost of running each LR4 on a dyno on the same day. :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM