Offroad : LR4 vs. RR vs RRS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually locking diff is standard on RR and RRS. I think RR, RRS and LR4 all have the same offroading capability...maybe out of the box, the RRS is slightly less capable but that's probably due to the sportier/lower profile tires.

But this being the LR4 forum - yes, LR4 is better :)

I think that is incorrect.

The locking rear diff has never been "standard" on any model except the full size range rover in supercharged build. Otherwise, the only other way the locking rear diff was available was within the HD package.

The only standard locking differential has been the center.

wayne

Reaction score
worry about LR4 ground clearance

Hi, I am a new LR4 owner. I do quite a bit of off roading in the California desert canyons (Goler Wash, Mengle Pass, Lippencott road, etc) with a 1999 RR. That vehicle is great, and I am wondering if the LR4 will be as good. I am very impressed with the drive train ( I have the locking rear diff) and traction control, but a bit worried about a very limited rear ground clearance due to the low control arms for the independent suspension; mine also has the full size spare which may reduce things even more. Seriously, this looks like less ground clearance than a Toyota Camry!

I have not taken it yet on any trails where some rock crawling is needed, but I am worried. Does anyone have first hand experience with the off road capabilities in regard to ground clearance? I still have the miserable stock tires.

Wayne

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your 1999 RR was in stock form, I think you have nothing to worry about with the LR3/4. Ground clearance can be a bit deceiving with these amazing suspensions that just keep dropping when necessary. In off-road height, the LR4 can tackle pretty much any terrain other Land Rover vehicles (again, in stock form - wouldn't be fair to compare the LR4 to lifted rigs) can. It will negotiate the trails you mentioned above without breaking a sweat and without requiring any lift, with just some careful wheel placement.

For the type of unforgiving, sharp rocks you will hit in DV you definitely need some decent all-terrain tires though, because the stock ones may be OK on other terrains but will get murdered in Death Valley, the sidewalls are like butter and there just isn't enough of it to begin with. That can be an issue with the LR4 since no factory wheel smaller than 19" will fit over those large front brakes, and finding 19 or 20" A/T tires with a decently sized and tough sidewall, and that will fit the wheel wells of our cars, is not easy. You will find many suggestions on the forum.

Personally, I decided to purchase a set of aftermarket 18" wheels that fit our brakes, since there is a much better selection of beefy 18" tires to choose from. I live in SoCal and go to Death Valley as much as I can myself, I love it there! I am also getting underbody protection - rock sliders and skid plates - so I can tackle the more challenging stuff, but you can negotiate 90% of the trails in that area in stock form, with just better tires than what Land Rover supplies. Beefier tires will also increase your ground clearance a bit, of course.

Finally, you can gain a couple of extra inches of clearance for more demanding rock crawling with either mechanical modification (such as shortened suspensions rods, search for "Johnson Rods" on the forum to get an idea) or electronic ones, such as EAS Control and IIDTool - not quite available commercially for the LR4 but it should be a matter of days now - or my Llams module from Australia.

Are you a member of SCLR by any chance? They are going to Death Valley this weekend with a Dept. of Interior Geologist leading the way... I was going to go - would have been my fifth outing there - but had to cancel due to family schedule conflicts, which really ****** me off... I like to avoid the summer months there if I can, for obvious reasons. SCLR normally has another DV Geology Tour in the fall, I won't miss that one for sure, and you should join us too. It's a great trip and Death Valley is always spectacular to begin with.

wayne

Reaction score
Thanks! If this tool can give a couple more inches, that will be great. I have a similar thing (Faultmate) for my RR and it has been worth every of the many pennies it cost.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99