Oil Overfill Indication - 2013 LR4 5.0L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrTobiasFunke

Reaction score
Recently had the oil by releasing the plug on the oil pan at a friend's garage (He lives a couple of hours away). We added slightly over 8 liters, maybe a 1/5 extra of a liter, and also replaced the filter. Now the computer says overfilled, but I've had zero warnings or lights on the dash.

I’ve driven about a tank of gas so far and it says overfilled, so I called the LR service department the other day and asked if I needed to be worried. I explained it wasn't grossly overfilled and assumed I was ok b/c I've had no warning or lights. Well, they still advised I extract the overfill to the correct amount because an overfill can cause engine damage. Also, the car computer won't properly diagnose the issue only their tools will throw codes, so I'm guessing the GAP tool would probably help, which I don't own.

We didn’t measure how much oil was extracted so my concern is there was some residual oil that did not drain and maybe the system contains 8.2-8.5L of oil. I’ve read somewhere the housing around the oil filter can trap some extra oil, is this true?

Should I be worried, am I just being paranoid? My buddy is a knowledgeable mechanic and seems to think it’s at an acceptable tolerance, but he understands my concern. I don’t own an oil extractor either, so I either have to order one and sideline the vehicle until the pump arrives or go to a mechanic.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the capacity is 8 liters, or 8.5 quarts.

So if you only added an extra 1/5th of a liter, I wouldn't be super worried assuming you got all of the old oil out.

This would obviously be messy, but you could probably drain out enough without taking it all out by pulling the plug and putting it back in on time... this could backfire though.

You don't want an overfilled engine, as it can cause the crankshaft to froth up your oil and cause inadequate lubrication/cooling.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve drained my LR4 from the top and bottom and have never added more than 7.5-7.75 quarts and have had the oil level at full.

Overfilling sucks, it’s worse than being a tad low, and I want to avoid it. My rule of thumb is to always add at least 1/2 quart less than indicated. Run the engine for a couple of minutes and check to see if it is low. If it isn’t low then drive the car normally once and check after it cools off a bit. Usually there is at least a 1/2 quart between the low and full marks regardless of the car so the risk of running low enough to cause any issues is zero.

DrTobiasFunke

Reaction score
Usually there is at least a 1/2 quart between the low and full marks regardless of the car so the risk of running low enough to cause any issues is zero.

Assuming this is correct, then I’m current at 8.5ish Liters. Do I evacuate the 1L and call it good. Or would you consider this recent oil change compromised and I should redo the entire oil change? It’s got about 370 miles since the oil was done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming this is correct, then I’m current at 8.7ish Liters. Do I evacuate the 1L and call it good. Or would you consider this recent oil change compromised and I should redo the entire oil change? It’s got about 370 miles since the oil was done.

If you have the ability to suck the oil out, I would. Take out out ~1/2 quart and check. You can always add some back in.

You can also drain some from underneath. I've done it in a Jeep. Not fun, but doable. If from underneath, err on the side of taking out more than you think, so you don't have to do that twice.

DrTobiasFunke

Reaction score
You don't want an overfilled engine, as it can cause the crankshaft to froth up your oil and cause inadequate lubrication/cooling.

With my circumstance, just being slightly overfilled, is this enough to degrade the new oil, and should I change out the oil completely or just extract the excess amount?

Also by draining thru the plug, does all the oil remove from the engine, or is there this phantom .5qt ppl warn about?

If extracting via the pump or draining thru the plug, does one method leave residual oil over the other?

I order a Myvac pump and it arrives next week. I don’t have tools and pans to support draining thru the plug in the meantime.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any reason to not just use an extractor and remove some oil? should take all of 5 minutes. extract 1qt. check level. if lower than your comfortable with, add a little.

i would not drive with overfilled oil.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my circumstance, just being slightly overfilled, is this enough to degrade the new oil, and should I change out the oil completely or just extract the excess amount?

Also by draining thru the plug, does all the oil remove from the engine, or is there this phantom .5qt ppl warn about?

If extracting via the pump or draining thru the plug, does one method leave residual oil over the other?

I order a Myvac pump and it arrives next week. I don’t have tools and pans to support draining thru the plug in the meantime.

Just remove half a quart or so from whatever method. I wouldn’t worry about the oil being ruined. I’m sure it’s fine.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course to be 100% good to go (and since you seemed concerned about this), just bite the bullet and replace the oil. You mentioned that your friend where you did the overfill lives a couple of hours away and that you've burned about a full tank of gas so far. That strikes me as a fair amount of driving in light of the LR service department's concerns about driving with too much oil.

Too bad the Mityvac delivery is taking so long but if you want to remove all doubts then sideline the vehicle until it arrives and hopefully it's only a minor inconvenience. The upside is that you will be so thrilled with the Mityvac and the ease of oil changes that it will take the sting out of parking your Rover temporarily.

PS: Your choice of oil may influence your decision. In my case I use OEM Castrol so I'd be looking at tossing out about $100USD of oil. If you're using Mobil1 or some other good synthetic then it may not be that expensive.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prosper sized tubing and a set of lungs would make quick work of it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72