Oil Overfill Indication - 2013 LR4 5.0L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spec is 8.0 liters, and no, there isn't anywhere oil can be trapped or hidden. I don't know where the "phantom oil" stories come from. But if you really only added a small amount more (8.2L total?), this should not cause an "overfilled" warning. How exactly did you add "slightly over 8 liters, maybe a 1/5 extra of a liter"? Seems like this would require some effort. I pour in 2 gallons and call it good. But anyway:

Assuming you followed the factory procedure and changed the filter first, before draining the sump: It sounds to me like you didn't reset the level sensor after the oil change. Normally this would be done after adding the exact amount (8.0L). If the last reset was done with 8 quarts (not liters), that MIGHT explain why it's showing "overfilled" now.

But anyway, it would probably be a good idea to remove 0.5-1.0 liter and be more careful at the next change. And reset the level sensor per FSM procedure next time.

See attached PDF, step #18, "The following steps are to update the average oil level value."

:cool:

Attachments

• LR4_FSM_oil_change_procedure.pdf
    317.2 KB · Views: 101

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. Ten years of ownership and never knew one could reset the average oil level. I have just top sided , add 8L and check in a day or so after the engine has gotten good and hot and had a 10min rest. Top if required.

What a procedure. Would a dip stick have been too much to ask?

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I would give for a useful dipstick that would fit down the vacuum-evac tube!!! I have a feeling the tube is too narrow and may cause problems trying to get a reading on the dipstick though...

:albertein

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're supposed to reset something after an oil change? News to me...
The FSM is not clear on this, at all. I think it's generally a 1-time thing when you are certain you have filled the correct amount of oil after draining. And it might not hurt to do it periodically, in case the sensor readings drift over the years & miles. I did it the first time I changed the oil, haven't done it since.

:musicus:

DrTobiasFunke

Reaction score
And reset the level sensor per FSM procedure next time.

See attached PDF, step #18, "The following steps are to update the average oil level value."

:cool:

Tried this and wasn’t able to clear the info. Also can’t achieve a direct reading, when completing the double cancel procedure. I must be doing something wrong with coordinating the engine warms-up and cooldowns.

Call the oil shop said they could maybe reset it with their computer tool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah - forgot to mention, you cannot clear the service reminder without the GAP IID tool (or dealer tool). That's a separate issue.

You should attempt resetting the average oil level value after correcting the level, assuming it's still slightly overfilled.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72