Rover Rocked the Offroad Rally in Ouray, Co

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As some of you know I used to own a 2004 VW Touareg. During the ownership we hooked up with other VW Touareg owners and headed to Ouray, Colorado for an Offroad Rally in the "Switzerland of America"

Since we sold the Touareg and bought our 2007 LR3 we HAD to see what she would do on the same trails we took our old Touareg on. So we went to the rally in Ouray last week and was greeted with good spirited ribbing from our VW buddies

Of course we got the comments about the "Queen" letting us come and play for the week and what time is "Tea Time". You know all the common British'isms'.

Well, by mid week of traveling over Cinnamon Pass, Corkscrew Pass, Hurricane Pass, Engineer Pass, Imogene Pass, California Pass and the beautiful Yankee Boy and American Basins' the VW crowd was amazed! And so was I to be frank...

The Rover out shined our old Touareg hands down! Now I am not just saying that because this is a Rover forum but the truth. I never lifted a wheel, never loss traction, never spun my wheels. She was steady and strong all week! Not even any warning lights!

Our old Touareg would always lift wheels and lose traction. I would have to fight the thing just to get up and over the pass! The Rover was no drama "Queen"! Just what you want when your on the trail!

I had folks starting to ask for a ride and they were amazed how well the Rover handled the rough rocky terrain . And the Terrian Response system worked like a champ! No issues! The Rock Crawl and Mud and Ruts settings were very useful in the conditions we encountered. Plus, the 4x4 screen on the NAV was VERY helpful to see what the Rover was doing. You don't get that in a VW...

By the end of the week I had folks starting to ask for a ride and they were amazed how well the Rover handled the rough rocky terrain. I think I may have even won over a few of the die hard Touareg owners since VW will strip down the new Touareg this year and make it a Highlander.

Well, enough of my ramblings and we all love pics! So here you go! This trip started me thinking maybe we need our own "Rover Rally" in Ouray one year... Hummm...

Notice who is leading

web.jpg

Top of Corckscrew Pass...
web.jpg

Top of Cinnamon Pass...
web.jpg

Top of California Pass...
web.jpg

Last edited:

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More Pictures !!!

Raining as always in Ouray in July! I took this picture thru the second row moonroof!
web.jpg

Stony Creek Mine... We LOVE to check out the old mines here in Colorado!
web.jpg

On top of Imogene Pass...
web.jpg

web.jpg

Last edited:

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...And More Pictures...

Durango to Silverton Steam engine. Great ride of you have not taken the train before!!!
web.jpg

Making our way up Imogene... Cheesey Picture... I know...
web.jpg

On top of Engineer Pass. She DOES have a big booty! That's why we love 'em!!!
web.jpg

...and the old Mayflower Mill...
web.jpg

Last edited:

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No pics... Looks like you're pointing to links that are secure. IE httpS.

You can probably see them on your local PC because you are already logged in/authorized.

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Works for me in Safari and in Firefox but not IE... Let me try something else folks!

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured it out! I was in my Secure side of my Mobile Me gallery and not the public side. We should be good now!!!

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heading up Corkscrew Pass...
web.jpg

We did run into a little flash flooding... There WAS a road there...
web.jpg

Making our way down Engineer Pass...
web.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99