Service Engine Light Still / Chirping from Right front engine Area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Well, my 99 Disco II was driving great wth the new Michelins 275/55/18 and new KYB shocks.....

However, after 2 Sea Foam trys, I am still experiencing a bit of knocking when it seems to be around 30 mph going uphill. Its only comes on once say in a ride of 3 hours. I have been travelling to/from VT from Northern NJ as it rides great while moving at 70 mph.

I am wondering if charging the plugs and perhaps some of the hoses could help? Now I have to get the misfire codes still but my buddy who was a mechanic at LR thinks its a value issue.

Any thoughts here would be great.

Secondly, I am now hearing what seems to be a chirping sound from the engine area and think perhaps some of the belts could be getting worn? It only has started in some harsh weather we are now having....ie snow, heavy rain....

So I will come back with the misfire codes but in the meantime and ideas would help....

Thanks alot
Charlie

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Chirping would be the S-belt tension pulley.

2 quick questions:

1 - what grade of fuel are you running?

2 - have you changed the plugs/wires since you bought it?

Charlie L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Joey

1. Actually have been running a 93 octane. Once in awhile a 89 but nothing lower.

2. No have not changed the plugs/wires so maybe a good time to do so. Bought the car with around 61K and now it has 65k. The car had been maintained by LR in Cherry Hill NJ but I am quite sure they did not change these.

Like I said I will check the misfire codes and probably change the plugs/wires anyhow.

I appreciate the quick feedback!

Charlie

Charlie L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also would it be an adjustment to the s belt pulley? Or do we have to change the S belt which cannot be cheap. Normally it quite a bit of labor to do this I gather?

Thanks again
CL

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
S-belt change or the tensioner change is acually very easy. As long as you have the diagram handy.

Charlie L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey joey

thanks alot. i will get going on this.

thoughts on the knocking ? i am going to start with the inexpensive stuff changing the plugs, wires....any recomendations? my mechanic said cheap champions seem to be the best?? i thought bosch platinums would be better?

thanks again for your help
cl

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Cheap champions are the best IMHO (yes I have tried others) wires, I prefer Magnacore, but any high end wire should work - these are for the heat generated under the hood.

C

capthook

Get the misfire codes but,

I just had to do my S-belt pulley's, (2) of them a large metal one and a plastic one right after I had the S-belt replaced. After I had my new belt put on, it put more tension on the pulley problem and got alot louder... more of a chrip / clank (but obviously from outside of the motor and in the front) sound came from the front of the engine on the driver's side mainly. Anyway took it to a local LR shop and had them replace them both and was back on the road in an hour. From what Joey has said the belt tensioners go; it's normal.

Have your codes ran, if you don't have any come back then you'll know it's something else like the above

Charlie L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Service Engine Light Still on / Chirping

Hi Again

OK, I had the codes checked and it seemed that 5 cyclinders all had misfires. After taking a close look at the wires, they seemed pretty shot. Pulled a plug and it had a lot of carbon build up. At 68K I am pretty sure the plugs were never changed so I hope this is the root cause.

So in the process of changing all plugs and wires. One question is why there is no heat shield between the wires and engine area? I can only imaginehow hot this runs.

Anyhow, I really hope this solves the knocking abit. MAy go back for one last Seafoam blast depending on the results.

Thanks for any addl input.
CL

Charlie L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi again

Well had misfires in what seemed to be all cylinders. I changed the wires and plugs as the wires were so brittle they crumbled when removing from the plug. Plugs were pretty bad. Air filter was also changed.....

All codes clear and so far no more service engine light to report. Car is responding well so far....

Now, the S belt is still chirping what seems to be when the vehicle accelerates only. Any ideas? Should I replace the belt? Any idea where to find this for a 99 Disco II with ACE?

Thanks again for the input!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM