Service Engine Light Still / Chirping from Right front engine Area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you haven't changed the tensioner yet, then it needs changed... also the S-belt changing wouldn't hurt.

Not sure on the ACE belt, but a standard belt can be had at any Advance Auto parts. Just ring www.atlanticbritish.com and you can have the belt and tensioner in a couple of days.

or call Nathan at www.discountbritishparts.com he almost always has what I need.

Charlie L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Joey

Nathan hooked me up and parts (S belt and Tensioner) should arrive next week. Is this relatively easy to do on my own? Hes a great guy.

Also I had my local mechanic replace the plugs and wires and its still running abit rough according to the Mrs. I am planning on a pretty long trip with it this weekend so any feedback would be awesome. I am taking her word since I have only driven it tonight very briefly and all was fine.

I am praying its not the valves the but Engine light does not come on any more so thats a good thing.

Thanks again
Charlie

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Changing the s-belt and tensioner is pretty straight forward, just make sure you have a print out of the belt routing.

The tensioner needs to be unsprung to remove the belt. attach a socket and ratchet and push clockwise, remove belt from tensioner, then you can remove belt very easily. If you do not have a print out of the belt routing, you can draw it out before you start or do a search on here and find it.

Then take a socket and remove the center bolt that holds the tension to the engine. remove and install new one. Reroute belt, and use same method to unspring to put belt back on.... shouldn't take more then 15 minutes. Can be done in 5 minutes once you have done it before.

Charlie L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great. thanks...i am doublechecking the new wires and plugs per the diagram you had provided to someone else at some point in this forum.

Charlie L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi again

After a heavy trip to VT, the service engine light went on again after the car went from decelerating to about 3rd gear, a bit of a hesitation for a few seconds, lights remains blinking, then stays on. It tends to resent normally in a 24 hr period and then starts the cycle again. Well, I am planning another Seafoam treament since I sense its the sticky valves unless someone out there thinks otherwise. All wires, plus, air filter just changed. Will be replacing the S belt and tensioner this week. So its brings me to this continuing issue of sputtering.

My main question is can I continue to drive like this? I am planning on driving the car about 400 miles per weekend from Northern NJ to Vermont.

In the meantime, I also read something on www.motovac where its really blast the carbon buildup but no idea on how to find someone to do this in Northern NJ.

Also could it be the VSS sensor as well?

Thanks a bunch

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If this is the VSS, then when the hesitation happens you can select 3rd gear and it will go away. If you select 3rd gear and it does not change, then it sounds more like valves.

Charlie L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Joey

Thanks. Well, indeed it does not go away when in 3rd. Shall I breakdown and go the dealer for the valve job? I will try one more shot of seafoam or perhaps try to locate this motovac equipment that can blow out the junk first off before biting the bullet on the expensive valve job.

Also would it be better for my regular mechanic to do the valve job and save some dough?

Thanks again for your help. Its really appreciated.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM