Snow mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much snow should there be before using the Snow/Gravel mode? Is this mostly for deep snow, or should it be used for slightly snow-packed roads as well? We've had a few snow days and I'm just never sure when I should switch over to Snow/Gravel mode.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would assume any snow would be okay to use that mode, considering even a few inches can be slippery. But at the same time, the LR4 should be able to handle a few inches on its own with no mode changes. Not sure - great question :)

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there any on the ground, I will use it as it limits acceleration rates and if there is any ice under there it should help, especially on hills. Also limits slipage around corners as it looks at steering direction and vehicle movement.:albertein

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there any on the ground, I will use it as it limits acceleration rates and if there is any ice under there it should help, especially on hills. Also limits slipage around corners as it looks at steering direction and vehicle movement.:albertein

second......

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's snow gravel and grass so you should be fine using it in any snow. It's in high gear so if you expect any accumulation for a few days, you can leave it in snow mode the whole time.

We've had a lot of snow and and ice here in Dallas so I left it in snow mode all week.

Last edited:

dstrickler

Reaction score
Snow mode in Boston

Being that Boston has seemed closer to Syracuse this winter, I've had my LR4 in and out of Snow mode constantly, and I agree with the other posters, any snow is fine.

All the modes (except for the last one for rock climbing) as far as I know, are about changing the suspension, traction via acceleration ramp time, etc. Many are things you could do yourself, but you'd have to be very efficient, and quite frankly the computer just does a better job. It has input from the wheels to see how they are slipping, etc. - things you really can't keep a constant eye on when you should be looking at where you're driving.

In my experience in snow, and especially in lots of thick ice in back alley parking spaces, the snow mode is amazing. In one bad storm, I breezed out of over a foot of packed snow and ice in our back alley. The wheel ruts were so deep, a few SUVs were getting stuck on the snow between the ruts. I just elevated my LR4 and sailed over them.

I liked my LR4 before this winter. Now I love it.

Mach1s

Reaction score
Snow Mode is fine with limited slippery conditions. The CPU constantly monitors the wheels and applies brake to wheels that slip so wheels that have traction can continue as well as many other functions. You may get a little worse MPG in any of the Special Traction Modes.

still-one

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I had forgotten that I had put my LR4 into snow mode over the weekend and was caught off guard when trying to merge into freeway traffic and the normal "jump" from 45 to 70 was not there. All was well when I dropped it back to normal.

vivaldi1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great question.

I actually had a bad experience last month with snow mode.

Might have been driver error of course. But basically about 20-30 feet behind a vehicle in front of me stopped at a stoplight. I was going maybe 10-15 mph as I approached and hit the breaks. The car just started sliding and the incline was only like 15-20 degrees. I tried pumping the breaks, it kept sliding (slowly sliding though). I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong and was just hoping the car would figure it out, but it kept sliding.

Basically the light turned green as I was sliding and luckily the car in front of me (it was actually a tow truck) accelerated right as I 'kissed' his bumper and I don't think he knew what happened.

It was like an hour into the storm that hit us on the East coast a while ago.

The least fun part of that drive? My driver side windshield wiper stopped working shortly after that. Normally that commute is 15minutes and because of the snow it took me almost 2 hours. Mostly because of all the other cars getting stuck. Saw a Ferrari on the road spinning all over the place. I did laugh at that, but I didn't laugh when every 10 minutes I had to get out of the car and wipe off the snow in front of me since my wiper didn't work. (Dealer did fix it promptly).

-

still-one

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Under normal circumstances you are not supposed to pump the pedal when you have anti-lock brakes. That actually increases stopping distances. That said since you were on a downhill grade that may change what the proper actions should have been.

Glad it all worked out for you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM