Suspension fault on 3rd compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

racingdc9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Texas: sry to hear that, you might be going down the path that I have started. I'll keep you posted on what happens with me and LR NA, hopefully you won't have to go that route.

racingdc9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well got the LR3 back today, and of course it was a bad compressor again.

I need some input here, what are the chances that 3 new compressors would go bad in one year, I understand the first one, which was faulty, but the next 2 were supposed to be the revised versions. I feel that there is something else causing these compr. to fail. The dealerships thoughts are if it's broke just fix it and not worry if there is something else that might be causing the part to go bad. I mean, should I ask them to look into it more? Or just drive it and see what happens.

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
racingdc9 said:
Well got the LR3 back today, and of course it was a bad compressor again.

I need some input here, what are the chances that 3 new compressors would go bad in one year,

Call LRNA and ask them if they're willing to take the chance that this compressor will never go again... Because 3 times is the lemon charm... Tis how I got a new one... Helps a bit if they're over the 30 day in the shop mark to boot.

My second compressor on my second truck is about to be put in. I stopped being mad because now I realized I'll never have to buy a new car again... LR will just have to give me a new one every 10k miles or so...

racingdc9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i'm waiting on LRNA to call me back, I already started a file.

LOL, if you have the patiences to do it, then more power to ya.

Hey I sent you a Pm ok askewed

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, my early build LR3 HSE finally has been hit with numerous Suspension Failures in the last 2 days. Nothing that prevented the vehicle's use, however. (Along with the amber warning icon... it just prevented use of the height adjustment.) 99% chance it's all related to a failing air compressor, which has been sounding a bit odd in the last month or so. Until the last two days, I had only seen the error twice -- once for no reason after starting, and once doing evil things off-road. (It's the original air compressor, which some people had big issues with.)

The air compressor is being replaced right now. Thankfully, the service department wasn't too busy.

A

AZSTALZ

Interestingly enough Grommet, after the harsh off-road trip with my LR3 last weekend, I had a Suspension Fault after I raised the vehicle in my driveway to take the roof rack off. Took it into the dealer and my original compressor finally failed. My LR3 is an early build HSE also.

H

Houm_WA

Hmmm, I wonder if it is just a matter of time before my compressor goes. I have a 2005 HSE that I took delivery of in August, so it's sort of mid-run-build. I had problems in the past with suspension faults, but deduced that they were non-compressor-related, as I could still move up and down post-fault. ...my history is documented here...but in short they replaced a suspension control unit that may've shorted out (they found moisture in harness).

I haven't had an issue since, and that was in Dec '05/Jan '06. I haven't been offroad since then, but I have done things that would've caused faults in back then (like hard bumps, climbed a few rocks, curbs, etc) and have had no faults.

I guess I think that the original fault/problem is fixed, but am wondering if the clock is invariably ticking on my compressor.

Thoughts?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, my LR3 is back. Interesting, AZSTALZ... guess we're just lucky. :smile: D'oh!

They replaced the compressor and updated the ECU needed for the revised design. It works great again... and the new compressor is less loud when active and seems to fill the tank more quickly. Of course, I might be comparing it to my failing compressor.

They also applied a "Transfer Case Control Module" software update, which was flagged as a recall.

L

lr3driver

Wondering all these compressor failures are only happening to 2005 models ? If so problem might be something else than compressor because it seems like that even the revised compressors are failing

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, I know of compressor failures on both 2006 LR3 and 2006 RRS.... (In fact, there have been posters here.) Improvements/changes are made irregardless of model year. As Houm_WA experienced, not all suspension problems are related to a compressor failure.

My dealer hasn't had to replace too many air compressors so far... of course, only Land Rover knows the real statistics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM