Two LR4 Questions (Windshield & USB)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has the landrover logo in the corner, I just can't see the wires. I'll take a closer look, but I suspect the previous Florida owner (could have been a dealership) just put a stock one on after a road chip.

Yeah, I'm ******. I kind of shot myself in the foot here because I've already started making mods to the truck, so I can't really return it even though I'm at my 5 days. I'll see what CarMax says.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically if they advertised it as a loaded HSE, that option might've been standard and therefor falsely advertised . Even better would be if they listed heated glass.

Returning it is your leverage to get them to just pony up the $800-$1000 or so for replacement to make you happy.

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The USB port on mine "charges" but it's not powerful enough to do a faster charge while streaming music. It's a lower powered USB port. I use my cig lighter port to charge the phone which charges pretty damn quick compared to the built in USB.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically if they advertised it as a loaded HSE, that option might've been standard and therefor falsely advertised . Even better would be if they listed heated glass.

Returning it is your leverage to get them to just pony up the $800-$1000 or so for replacement to make you happy.
So, I did the research today. When I had looked up the VIN on TOPIX it listed "HEATED FRONT WINDSCREEN, HEATED WASHER JETS-W'SHIELD, etc."
Armed with that, I went back to the window sticker... not listed.
Went back to the online listing... not there either.

So, my only leg would be this is advertised as a "LUX" and this should be standard equipment. But I don't know if that will hold water if it wasn't called out on their listing. Any thoughts with CarMax?
Was the heated windscreen standard equipment on a LUX? (some nice person here sent me pics of the 2013 brochure a couple months ago, and damn if I can't find them)

With regards to returning it.... well, I've now painted the wheels, grille, vents, tinted the front glass and crapped up the roof rail molding trying to get those plugs out. :) So...I own it. I'm not saying it still isn't worth making the threat, though.

The USB port on mine "charges" but it's not powerful enough to do a faster charge while streaming music. It's a lower powered USB port. I use my cig lighter port to charge the phone which charges pretty damn quick compared to the built in USB.

Well...that is one heck of a trickle charge! I guess a dark phone might work, but when I had the NAV running it dropped from 70% down to 35% on a drive. Oh well. It's easy to work around, was just wondering what it's supposed to do. I appreciate the feedback.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I probably have a 2013 brochure here so I can look. I do know that some years have certain things standard in a package or level whereas other years, even later, sometimes split out some features. It makes no sense really but I've seen it anyway.
For example, usually if it has heated seats and visible headlight jets, then heated windscreen is a given.

To me this is no different than if it was supposed to have a matching full size spare but some asshole swapped a doughnut in there without Carmax noticing the problem.

I'd approach it first like: "hey, this was probably an oversite on your part not being familiar with the vehicle specifics, but based on (the heated seats or HSE, etc) it's supposed to have a heated windscreen ...and in fact that's how it was built from factory as you can see by VIN check, heated seats, dedicated button for windscreen, etc" and if they have deaf ears..."I wouldn't want to put us all through a falsely advertised/sold vehicle ordeal...let's just get me the correct factory window" don't mention the cost of it until you get them going in your direction. The issue isn't $ as much as proper equipment and such.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brochure is available here: http://www.motorologist.com/car-brochures/land-rover-brochures/

In the Land Rover LR4 HSE LUX exterior includes section on page 44 it says "Heated windscreen including heated washer jets"
Thanks! That's a great link. I'll have to print out the entire thing to have on hand.

I learned that if my LR4 has a Nav hard drive then I have a virtual 10 disc CD changer, which is kind of cool. (yeah, I know...it's all on our phones these days anyway)

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The virtual CD changer stores music files in uncompressed format, so whatever CDs you copy there will sound better than your phone's compressed MP3 version.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The virtual CD changer stores music files in uncompressed format, so whatever CDs you copy there will sound better than your phone's compressed MP3 version.

You can put uncompressed music on a phone, too. My entire home digital music library is in Apple Lossless, although my iTunes Match streams it to my phone at 256k. Nonetheless, it's starting to approach near-indiscernible quality differences at that bit-rate on a factory stereo.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, up until a few months ago, the iPod plug under the armrest worked great, and charged relatively quickly. Now, it shows it's charging, but really doesn't. Everything does connect....i supposed it might be a fuse. Anything plugged into the aux/cigarette slots charge fine. After owning the LR4 for 5 years, besides having to replace the homelink transmitter, this would be the only thing to go wrong with my truck. Clearly, Lucas, the Prince of Darkness, is no more!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72