Windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I have been putting off calling CarMax on this because I hate warranty discussions, but it's time to schedule a visit.

Are there any TSBs or other documentation I can bring with me to note that non-OEM glass impacts the rain sensor? It seems like common knowledge that without Pilkington Glass you run into these issues, but Carmax will likely need to see it somewhere.

Or else I'll deal with a time consuming process of replacing rain sensors and them trying to test it, prove it's not accurate, etc...

Using the IIDtool you can turn the sensing off but then get full adjustable variable wipers like the way things used to be. I never found the lr3 auto wiper rate to be what I wanted, always too quick and with the auto, the dial on the stalk for adjusting the rate does nothing at all.

My BMW has auto but even with it on the sensitivity rate changes as desired by dialing in the +/- . You can also simply choose to have the auto feature on or off right on the lever. My BMW wins in pretty much every tech feature except not having a heated windscreen.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using the IIDtool you can turn the sensing off but then get full adjustable variable wipers like the way things used to be. I never found the lr3 auto wiper rate to be what I wanted, always too quick and with the auto, the dial on the stalk for adjusting the rate does nothing at all.
Cool. What is the variability adjustment control when you turn off the sensing?

That said, I was extremely happy with the sensing on my LR3. 95% of the time I just left the control there and was amazed how accurate it would brush off fog, dew, sprinkles, and increase speed as needed. The only time I really turned it off was in heavy rain (sometimes it wouldn't stay at fast) and when going through car washes. So, that's particularly why I'm disappointed in the lack of sensing performance in my 2013, which I guess is due to the windshield.

Still looking for TSBs or any documentation I can print out and bring with me to CarMax to prove the point.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me the variable range pretty much covers what it ever needed. In NC where it's usually either not raining or torrential, I never cared too much. In the northwest though during the rain months it's often very light and the auto speed was always too fast, usually 2-3x which would just be annoying and/or cause that scrunching sound. Now I can have a nice long delay.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I have been putting off calling CarMax on this because I hate warranty discussions, but it's time to schedule a visit...
As a testament to how much I procrastinate dealing with warranty battles, I just now have the LR4 in with CarMax. To their credit, they are being really good about it. No fight. Free (crappy) loaner in the meantime.

They confirmed that the OEM glass should have been put in from the start.
They think that the leak I'm seeing (in addition to possibly the cowling) is related to incorrect install of cowling side panes on the A Pillar that can leave a gap between the A Pillar and the frame, allowing water to flow down. (or something like that)

So, they claim that they'll address that and without me asking are going to lift up the carpet and see if they need to do any mold remediation so there are no issues down the road. I don't think there are, but it's nice that they'll look. Maybe they'll also address that IPA I spilled on the tailgate this weekend. :biggrin: It happens...

Anyway, I'll post an update when I get it back. Thanks for the feedback on this thread which armed me with a crisp Cause-Effect-Solution write-up I gave them this morning. If anything, it prevented me from going through the pain of someone else trouble-shooting the problem by replacing rain sensors and such.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe they'll also address that IPA I spilled on the tailgate this weekend. :biggrin: It happens...

Ha. Who among us hasn't popped the Rover's hatches and done some tailgating during weekend garage projects? Also a great place to put a few tools and your Bluetooth speaker and all kinds of other good stuff while you're puttering around.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, to CarMax's credit they took care of everything I asked for and a few things I didn't. Service tech wanted to get it right.

I actually didn't realize this was a 6 months warranty from when they replaced it (thought it was a year) so I'm really lucky I brought it in when I did.

They put in the OEM glass and replaced the sensor, which I didn't ask for. They also put in new clips and such. I'm not sure if that was standard or because I asked for it.

The same old weather faded cowling was reinstalled bu this time it is much more flush with the windshield. There are some gaps where it pops out, but not like last time.

Some gripes below the pics. If you're curious...

2v2ujzapGxvn42L.jpg

My new windshield! Hope it's the right one. It has the little wires in it.

2v2ujza1Wxvn42L.jpg

This was the glass invoice to CarMax. I do appreciate them taking care of things without an argument. I wish I would have known to demand OEM glass when they did it the first time so we didn't get here, but all is hopefully well now.

The GRIPES are just that I hate going to dealerships for work that they farm out. They're bad enough as it is in terms of how long it takes them to get into the job and finish. But, in my experience, if you're not looking the guy in the eye who is working on your car (or no more than one degree away) the quality suffers. There is no personal responsibility to do the work the way the tech would want it done to their own car, if they're not personally shaking the owner's hand.

As such, it took 8 days to resolve this. Most of that time with the glass shop. And they made a pretty good mess of the interior. CarMax was nice enough to clean most of it up when I asked but it makes you wonder what was up with your car in the time it sat in a shop you've never been to.

In the end, it was repaired without argument, which was solid of CarMax. They gave me a loaner also which made it much less of a hassle. I did have to switch up to a larger loaner when the car wasn't done on Friday because I needed LR4-sized space for weekend travel plans.

Thanks for the tips here, folks. It hasn't rained yet. Here's to hoping the wipers and the heated windshield do what they're supposed to do.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72