My Cargo Door Hydraulic Arm Broke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bLuLRIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hydraulic arm on one side of the upper cargo door has come off. The threaded ball/bolt that screws into the inside of the side pillar has come off and its almost as the hole in the pillar is stripped... I not sure we can get behind this? The door is heavy and probably wont stay open long (without the other one failing) on one arm. I wasn't there when it happened (someone borrowed my truck) Any ideas?

I suggest everyone take a look at theirs... because I think this was loose and eventually came off... so don't let it happen to you.

This is going to be expensive isnt it? Im not under warranty

Randall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the same thing happened to my LR3 the dealer said the bold is welded and they have to send it to a collision shop to fix but if you're in warranty they should fix it for free.

Noah

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The exact same thing happened to me last week. I am now (barely) out of warranty. I ordered a replacement pivot bolt (only $1.53) and should arrive this week. The threads on the original pivot bolt are stripped. Cannot yet tell if the bolt inside the D pillar is also stripped.

Last edited:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunatly, I am NOT under warranty... *****.

Still, there is a TSB about it, and perhaps you can argue that the dealer should have checked it out at the 50k inspection.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this only an early build problem? I forgot what I read about it before and could search again, but we might as well flesh out this report a bit for the record and future searches.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...so is there anything more to this than staying on top of those bolts and making sure they're tightened? I look at mine just about every month or two and really tighten it down. Short of using some lock-tite on it, I'm not sure what else there is to be done.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still, there is a TSB about it, and perhaps you can argue that the dealer should have checked it out at the 50k inspection.
I am going to the dealership tomorrow to pick up a replacement pivot bolt for the strut mount failure, and will ask the service advisor about the TSB. I also just completed a 50K service visit, and agree that this should have been addressed before it failed.

It either wasn't performed, or wasn't performed properly, or the workaround was inadequate to prevent a failure.

TSB summary:

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
LAND ROVER / LR3 2005-2006

Service Bulletin Number : 501016
NHTSA Item Number : 10019761
Summary Description :
TAILGATE SUPPORT MOUNTING. RATTLE FROM THE UPPER TAILGATE AREA. *TT

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members