Control arm fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lmwong

Reaction score
Hello. Has anyone seen a control arm fail like this? These were installed at the end of 2019, the heavy duty control arm polybush set from Lucky8. It ripped the CV shaft straight out! Luckily we were pulling out of a parking spot when it happened and not driving along the highway. We do not do any off-roading in the LR4, only pavement daily use, in the Midwest.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there was something similar with one of the offroad guys in this forum but this is really bad; there was also discussion around the polybush and how stiff they are. Overly stiff is not good as it can increase the load on the control arm and lead to a fatigue failure on the control arm. I am concerned that this happened with on-road usage! Obviously you need a replacement (on both sides) and personally I'd go back to OEM; with OEM components they've been engineered with stress and fatigue in mind; I'm not sure if the same can be said for after market components? Glad you're OK.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. Have heard of this before when running poly bushings. Not just on LR4s.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others have indicated, this seems to be associated with poly bushings. Whether the failure is caused by the bushing stiffness or by aftermarket control arms that might have come with them is anyone’s guess.

i went back to stock bushings on mine, and I don’t regret it.

ugmw177

Reaction score
wow, that is scary. I use the Meyle HD [rubber busings] LCAs. Never had issues. Which brand were these wtih the poly bushings?

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like it may have failed close to a weld (see 1 in the image); I don't think it's rust given how clean the edge of the crack is (see 2 in the image):

1701359012924.png

An area around a weld is typically a harder area and more susceptible to fatigue, it really depends on the technology of the weld, was it cooled quickly, etc.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks expensive with the half-shaft broken off like that too. Be sure to change both control arms to OEM parts and not just the one that failed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72