Control arm fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am on the fence about proactively replacing mine - the indy shop recommended the poly bushings to avoid frequent replacement of the oil-filled ones when I first bought it, so I did that not knowing any better. I'm due an alignment, so perhaps I bite the bullet and swap to the Meyle HD, or just swap to the stock ones and just do the FCPEuro warranty when they let go. Having a catastrophic failure on a trail would suck.

I'm like you. The control arms I bought to replace the Luck8 turds were the ones Atlantic British sold with the green poly. I almost immediately regretted it as the ride was noticeably more harsh. I think I'll swap them for the Meyle HD version soon.

Blueaz

Reaction score
I like Lucky 8 - I've given them plenty of money. But I don't like providing an aftermarket alternative to a stock part that is supposedly heavy duty but in fact is a liability.

Blueaz

Reaction score
I had my front upper & lower control arms replaced in January 2023 with 104K miles on the LR4. My independent mechanic insists on OEM parts all around.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made the mistake of getting the poly bushing ones for our last 2013.
This one has the OEM replacements.
Readers be warned. Ride quality goes way down and apparently they can explode?

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt the arms themselves are the problem, in one sense. I suspect that the Lucky 8 arms would be fine with softer bushings that allowed for more twist to be absorbed by the bushing. But put a stiff poly bushing in there, and even if it is lubed enough to pivot around the bolt, the twisting that the suspension asks for is working against that stiffness now. I think what we're seeing are fatigue failures due to a lack of thinking about the whole system when designing it, and just using what parts were already available.

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the Meyle lower control arms. The LCAs in my LR4 right now are the ones Atlantic British sells or used to sell with the green poly bushings. They've been in since October 2019 and for around 45k miles.

No urgent need for replacement, but doing it because:

1. Never really liked the ride with the poly bushings.
2. Never really liked how the poly bushes behave when my front wheels articulate.
3. This thread, showing the potential failure of a poly bushing.

Was contemplating doing it myself, but my local small mechanic shop quoted me $350 labor to do it all, with me supplying the parts. That's a no-brainer for me, I'm afraid. That does not include alignment, but I have a lifetime alignment at Firestone that I bought around 5 years ago and have used every year since.

I also have a set of Lemforder upper control arms I'll have him do at the same time. Sitting at almost 133k miles, so I'm sure those are probably due.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the Meyle lower control arms. The LCAs in my LR4 right now are the ones Atlantic British sells or used to sell with the green poly bushings. They've been in since October 2019 and for around 45k miles.

No urgent need for replacement, but doing it because:

1. Never really liked the ride with the poly bushings.
2. Never really liked how the poly bushes behave when my front wheels articulate.
3. This thread, showing the potential failure of a poly bushing.

Was contemplating doing it myself, but my local small mechanic shop quoted me $350 labor to do it all, with me supplying the parts. That's a no-brainer for me, I'm afraid. That does not include alignment, but I have a lifetime alignment at Firestone that I bought around 5 years ago and have used every year since.

I also have a set of Lemforder upper control arms I'll have him do at the same time. Sitting at almost 133k miles, so I'm sure those are probably due.

The Meyle HDs? You want the HDs.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am doing the same, but with lemforder (non HD) LCAs, for largely the same reason, though a bad ball joint precipitated things.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up my LR4 from my independent mechanic this afternoon. He replaced my LCAs with the Meyle HD units, and my upper control arms with the Lemforder.

My lowers were in fine condition; just wanted to get rid of the poly bushings.

Uppers were original, with 133k miles on them.

When I picked it up, guy showed me the uppers he removed. They were definitely due. One of the bushings was cracked in a couple of places. The inner metal sleeve on another just spun freely in the bushing.

Now, I'm thinking the rear control arms will be next. Anyone DIY those?

As an aggravating follow up, had an appointment at Firestone for an alignment immediately following picking the car up from my indy. Went into Firestone right on time and was told the soonest they can get me in is Friday. Cue Seinfeld "But the reservation is for the alignment. That's why you have the reservation."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112