02 gas gauge incorrectly reading "feature"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B

badtzm

Hey there,

Any 02 freelanders have this same "feature" that my boyfriend has in his freelander. Basically his car has been in the shop 5 different times in the past 4 months for the gas gauge reading incorrectly. What happens is that he will be able to drive on an above full tank for about 80-120 miles then the gas gauge will go down to 1/2 a tank.(its not gradual just from full to 1/2) then it may either bouce to 1/4 of a tank after about 20 more miles or sometimes it will bounce back up to 3/4 of a tank. Land rover dallas states that there is nothing wrong with this.. and that it is a "FEATURE" The gas tank never reads acurately...well it did for the first 12k miles then this started happening. And now they say well its a feature so live with it....I drive his car alot and dont want to be stuck on a dark road out of gas. BUT THEY INSIST THAT THEIR IS NO PROBLEM AND THAT IS A NORMAL THING..just want to know if any ohter of you have this fabulous "feature"

I would think if you paid this much money for a car you coudl get one wiht a working gas gauge. We have even talked to land rover corporate and they were like oh well. deal with it...just bring it back to the shop... and i'm like why they arent doing anythign with it anyways..they even said they replicated the issue..and drove it 120 miles with it on full...but when i got the car back..it only had 19 more miles on it than when i turned it in.

Please email me if you hav this issue or even if you dont..i just want land rover to fix it and they keep saying its a feature so i'm trying to find out if ohters have htis feature..thanks for listenign to my rant...

Fran
[email protected]

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it to another dealer / service place. You're getting a line of crap from people who are lying to you (about the miles driven), and should not let go of this.

You're absolutely right -- a truck as "feature"-filled and expensive as a Rover should have a working fuel gauge.:mad:

B

badtzm

yeah he's tired of dealing with them ....but even corporate wouldnt do anything..5 times in the shop since end of feb is just ridiculous. he has no faith in any of the land rovers...especially since corporate blew him off too...siding with thier shop manager

C

Coors Light40 fan

I have seen your problem about a hundred times. The simple fix is replacing the fuel pump due to a bad sending unit. The sending unit is not serviceable so the whole deal is replaced. There is also a ground on the drivers side lower kick panel the tends to back off and give faulty gauge readings. Either one is a known fix, I have yet to have one comeback. Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72