03 Freelander Breaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

rabauta

The breaklight just went on in my 03 Freelander. I took it to a dealership this morning and they're telling me I need all new front breaks and new roters on my back breaks. I only have 15,000 miles on it! Is this right? It seems way too soon to need to replace the breaks...
Can anyone help?

T

tophetec

Wrong, I had a 2002 Freelander which required full brake jobs every 11,00 miles. I put four brake jobs in three years. After researching, I determined it was not me driving like a cab driver(which the dealer accused me of), but under sized break calibers on the earler models. There are OEM parts which will last longer but still will not last the norm. Sorry for the bad news.

fisherman

Reaction score
I have a '04 and I relplaced the brake pads at around 26k miles, the car has currently 55k miles on it and looks like I will have to do another brake job soon. I ordered the EBC performance brake kit from Atlanic British it comes with rotors and pads. These are supposed to last longer, will have to wait and see.

Ted

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
if they are similar to the Disco pad, I wouldn't say they will last longer, but breaking will improve.

Brakes on LR's seem overtasked to me, heavy vehicle with minimal brakes. I would have to say the only way to get the brakes to last longer is (and I am not trying to be a smart A**) is to brake sooner, slow down before turns using the motor more to slow the vehicle... We all live in a fast paced world, but slowing down a little will only cost a few moments in life and save a lot of wear and tear on the vehicle.

fisherman

Reaction score
I installed the EBC pads and rotors about 500 miles ago. I notice that there is way less brake dust generated by these brake pads.

N

noesh

Hi,

My friend has a Freelander 99 model, and as I have read other forums I see she is not the only one with problems. We recently had the brakes replaced (diy efford, succesfull) but have got no idea how to reset the ABS function after the broaches has been replaced. Is there any one who might be able to help/advice as to how to do this.

happyhippo

Reaction score
At 48k miles I finally had to put pads on the front of my '03 SE and rear pads still have plenty of meat left. I 've been reading about quick brake wear out since I bought this truck and watched them closely but that hasn't been my experience. I definitely don't drive conservatively but not like everything is a LeMans either. I think some people love how this SUV handles so well (me included) they drive it like a Porsche. It's not. I only hope my experience with the tranny is just as different as what many here have experienced.

fisherman

Reaction score
I gotta recommend the EBC ceramic pads, if you see my earlier post. Since then I have put on about 40k miles that is way better than the 26k miles I was getting from OEM.

Ted

Shermie

Reaction score
I used to drive my 02 SE Freelander for new front brakes and rotors every 10k to 13kmiles. Then at about 40kmiles I decided to do the job myself. When I took the caliper's off I noticed that the dealer has installed the pads improperly. The Freelander brake pads have a chamfer on the brake material. This requires a specific brake pad orientation. Once I put them on correctly, I was able to get about 20kmiles, about the same time I required my first brake job. If the pads are improperly installed (very easy to happen, even for know-it-all mechanics who don't read the paper that comes with the pads) they wear out 40% faster.

LROVER

Reaction score
I gotta recommend the EBC ceramic pads, if you see my earlier post. Since then I have put on about 40k miles that is way better than the 26k miles I was getting from OEM.

Ted
Do you still recommend the EBC ceramic brake pads? Which ones did you get, Greenstuff series? How much did you buy them for; the prices I've seen online are about $100. You also bought the EBC rotors... I just want to make sure before I buy anything again. Do these brake pads have good stopping power and are they still lasting you longer than the stock? Lastly, do they make any noise?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make a smart buy! Thanks

I changed my front brakes the first time (pads and rotors- i waited too long) at around 30,000 miles about 2 years ago; ordered the parts from my local Land Rover dealer (so i kept them the same as stock). Pretty expensive I might add. When I first got my car the brakes never made any type of (often times) high pitched screeching sound, which I associate to when the brakes are bad. Soon after I had changed my brakes, they started to and continue to do this noise. The brake light on the dash has not come on at all this time, but I don't want to wait too long and let it get to the same point it did last time. I am hoping just to change the brake pads this time. I currently am about to reach 57,000 miles and feel it is time to change the brakes again as my mechanic told me that they were getting worn already and had only a few months of use left.

Also, I was looking at different brands and was wondering if anyone has tried brembo rotors (smooth finish- similar to OEM)? Do you guys think they are worth it, or should I stay with the land rover OEM rotors I have now, if they are still good enough to hopefully just be resurfaced?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM