'03 or '04- Which one and where to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

damnskippy

Reaction score
Hello folks,

Am in the market for Discovery, either 2003 or 2004 and am wondering if you have any advice as to whether there is any real difference between the two years? I realize 2004's are going to have less milage on them for the most part. Are service issues that come up for the two years relatively the same?

I do not live near any major cities. I am considering purchasing one on Ebay but don't know if this is a horrible mistake. I thought I would look for one that is being sold by a reputable dealer on Ebay that has excellent feedback. Has anyone had any luck going this route? Otherwise, I suppose I will look to a certified Land Rover dealer that also has service to see what they have in their inventory. Apparently their used vechicles go through a 140 point check. Am I going to pay a lot more if I go through a dealer, as in thousands?

Thanks.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I always recommend buying the last year of the style or type.. i.e 99 D1 or 04 D2.

This way you get all the latest fixes and not as many issues.

jmrivera

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently bought an '03 Discovery HSE7 from a guy who specializes in Land Rovers and Jaguars in Arizona. His prices are the best and he even throws in a 3rd party warranty. Shipping was reasonable (less that $400) and he has the vehicle inspected by RoverTech before the sale. I thought about eBay, but was worried I would buy someone else's junk. I combed the internet for 8 months before pulling the trigger.

Here's a link to his rover inventory...

http://luxury-4-less-auto-sales-llc.ebizautos.com/land-rover-inventory.aspx

Good luck and let us know what you found...

damnskippy

Reaction score
Thanks, I see currently he has 2 Discos available, both are sales pending.

damnskippy

Reaction score
JimRivera,

What exactly is Rovertech? Is this like the inspection done at an actual Land Rover dealership? I am anxious to know as much as I can before I get a Disco and it certainly looks as though you did your homework.

I live in Jackson Hole, WY and the closest Land Rover dealership is over 4 hours away (located in Utah). This is a big issue for me. I would be happy to drive the Disco there for repair service (am hoping to learn how to do oil changes and what I can myself). However, I am a complete novice at this. If I buy a Disco and it is breaking down on me, then it's going to be a real pain to have it towed. I think there are one or two mechanics in the area who will touch Land Rovers but then you run the risk if they work on it, it voids out any dealership warranty and perhaps aftermarket warranty (I'm not sure).

I want what I guess most anybody would...a 2004 Disco that is reliable as it can be, that has a lot of life in it still, that has a documented good history prior to my purchasing and that is not going to be breaking down on me all the time. Should I purchase from a Land Rover dealer only? What kind of warrantly would best suit my needs?

Any comments from you or others is most appreciated. Thanks

jmrivera

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rovertech is owned and operated by two mechanics, both with about 10 years of LR experience. Their phone number is 480-998-6617.

The 3rd-party Warranty that comes with the vehicle from Jack covers all major drive train components. The only issue I have is that the manufacturer recommended scheduled maintenance must be done at a commercial facility and proof must be kept - of course, this is only needed if you have to make a claim. The warranty is good at any ASE certified mechanic in the states.

My position of purchasing from a dealer only depends on the price of the vehicle and the dealer. I checked out my local LR dealer's inventory and they had a '03 Disco HSE w/no rear A/C and about 55k miles and wanted $27k. I got my '03 disco HSE7 completely loaded plus some dealer extras w/50,500 miles for $17,995 from Jack. We all know that a used vehicle is a crap shoot, but that's why I proceeded with extreme caution.

I would definitely take my time with this and find the best vehicle that suits your needs. Give Jack a call and he'll give you more information on how he gets his vehicles. he can even e-mail you a list of the upcoming auctions and you can look for Discos that interest you.

Jonathan

damnskippy

Reaction score
Jonathan,

I think I will check them out, thanks for the information. Sounds like you got a good deal and I hope your rig will last you a good long time. I wonder about some listed on Ebay, can those Carfaxes be trusted you think?

I found two mechanics locally who work on Land Rovers (among other vehicles) and it's the same story...not hard to work on but parts are so expensive. I asked if they ever go online for parts and was told by one, generally not. I think if I were needing parts that would be the first place I'd look.

Can I ask why you decided on an '03? I'd consider an '03 but think there might be more problems that could potentially crop up as that was a year when numerous changes were made...Joey said in previoius post some of those issues were remedied with the 2004.

Also, am thinking if I am looking for a 2004, I might find one still under warranty...and from what I've read on these forums, it is cheaper to get an extended warranty if vehicle is already under warranty. Thanks for your time, A.J.

jmrivera

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the '03 since that is all I could find in the HSE7... I haven't heard of any issues between the '03 and the '04 model years... The only difference I could find between the two years has to do with the tubular roof bars and 2 more color options on the '04. The engines, drivetrain, trim models, and specs. are exactly the same... The specs. are listed here for those model years;

http://www.landroverusa.com/us/en/V...ed_Pre_Owned_Overview@__link__InfoBlockLink_6

As far as the eBay buy, I stayed away from those auctions because arranging shipping was EXTREMELY difficult and the prices were closer to a dealer CPO price. In fact, your absolute best bet would be to find a CPO from a dealer since the factory warranty is extened 2 years beyond the standard warranty and it has been 140-point inspected... But you will pay much more for a CPO than anything else...

Keep us posted...

Jonathan

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo